First Dublin Shore session - any tips

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:51 pm

hi all

Im an experienced match/coarse angler dabbling with a bit of seafishing with the kids

having bashed mini species on DL pier and tried in vain for macks
i'd like to bring my older lad (13) on a shore session and am open to tips,
im not about to start spending a fourtune on gear as this will be a rare occurence,
i get the impression that night time is better, i would stay out til midnight or so with him,
i love to catch a smoothie or even doggies (never caught either) or anything thats a change from pier tiddlers,
ive had a stab at DL pier west and east outside walls on baits but never caught anything bar a pouting!
and the amount of snags takes the joy out of it

i have a 10' shakey mack bashing setup ("pier/surf") its called and a cheapo 12' beachcaster
both with usable fixed spools on 15lb mono, i have a few gripper leads, i have hooks, shockleader etc
do i need to cast to the horizon?

i can google typical rigs but any tips welcome...
bait will be mackerel or rag (is peeler essential?)

the big question...where should i try? i really really want to avoid antisocial behaviour, boozing teenagers, junkies etc
as it ruins fishing or me and id rather not expose the kid to idiots messing around and anyway its about a bit of peace & quiet
and quality time with the young lad

any tips on handling anything i might catch, ive spent my life catching roach etc
so i really dont know the potential dangers out there, although i get the impression that weevers are the only dangerous thing out there,
i have a pliers, do I need one of those heavy duty disgorgers i see, im used to the tiny plastics ones for roach etc on tiny hooks
i assume i can makeshift up some tripods rather than buy them,

now to bites.........im used to striking at every tiny indication from my freshwater fishing background
i believe sea anglers let the bites develop, i really dislike deep hooking fish, any tips here?

tides...is it safe to assume i want to fish when the tide is rising?

lots of basic stuff here i know but im going with the
"the only stupid question is the one you didnt ask" theory!

many thanks for any pearls of wisdom!

regards

Re: First Dublin Shore session - any tips

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 am

3 or 2 hook flappers best rigs rag or black lug and mack for bait no always big casts required unless the rod bounce reel in every 20 mins change bait dublin is a hard place to fish

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 am

fourmations wrote:i get the impression that night time is better, i would stay out til midnight or so with him,

Dawn or dusk, id usually start around 7 or 8 these days, coinciding with a favourable tide. Most beaches, piers, fish up, as in rising, but some do well on the drop. Depends where you go!!

i love to catch a smoothie or even doggies (never caught either) or anything thats a change from pier tiddlers,

Rag/peelers for smoothies, mack for the dogs.

i have a 10' shakey mack bashing setup ("pier/surf") its called and a cheapo 12' beachcaster
both with usable fixed spools on 15lb mono, i have a few gripper leads, i have hooks, shockleader etc
do i need to cast to the horizon?

For smoothies dogs and flats, you dont need to cast miles, you will catch some species in 6 inches of water.

You Simply must use a shockleader, if using 4oz leads, get 40lb shockleader, 5oz - 50lb etc. swinging leads on 15lb mono will lead to disaster, they can kill!

i can google typical rigs but any tips welcome...
bait will be mackerel or rag (is peeler essential?)

2/3 hook flappers, pennell rigs for bigger fish

not essential no

the big question...where should i try? i really really want to avoid antisocial behaviour, boozing teenagers, junkies etc
as it ruins fishing or me and id rather not expose the kid to idiots messing around and anyway its about a bit of peace & quiet
and quality time with the young lad

Go south, your only an hr from wexford, your increasing your chances of fish and decreasing your chances of junkies!

any tips on handling anything i might catch, ive spent my life catching roach etc
so i really dont know the potential dangers out there, although i get the impression that weevers are the only dangerous thing out there,
i have a pliers, do I need one of those heavy duty disgorgers i see, im used to the tiny plastics ones for roach etc on tiny hooks
i assume i can makeshift up some tripods rather than buy them,

There is some good unhooking guides on here for flats, do a search, dogs, and smoothies will be fine, never deep hooked one myself!

Weavers are all you need to watch for, altho dogs will rip the skin off you but nothing serious.

Sandspikes are another option instead of tripods. or about 4ft of waste pvc pipe hammered into the sand

now to bites.........im used to striking at every tiny indication from my freshwater fishing background
i believe sea anglers let the bites develop, i really dislike deep hooking fish, any tips here?

Different fish different bites, you may not notice small flats, dogs will be a tap tap tap, stop, repeat, smoothies will bend the rod over and a good bass will take the rod off the tripod - drag settings are important!

tides...is it safe to assume i want to fish when the tide is rising?

90% of the time

lots of basic stuff here i know but im going with the
"the only stupid question is the one you didnt ask" theory!

many thanks for any pearls of wisdom!

regards

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:18 am

Everything ardinn says is sound advice. If you don't or can't travel maybe try Colliemore harbour in dalkey, there's a strong pull of tide so maybe a 6oz gripper lead. You should get dogs there.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:14 pm

many thanks lads, much appreciated, ill report back!

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:01 pm

A quick one on shockleader the 10lb per ounce rule I have never agreed with.

Minimum 60lb even for 4oz leads. Personally I use 80lb for All powercasting. Only time I go lower is when I'm fishing light on my continental rod and then it's still 60lb

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:43 pm

[quote="fourmations"]hi all

i get the impression that night time is better, i would stay out til midnight or so with him,......
and quality time with the young lad....

I would not hang around west pier until midnight if I were you, no doubt you will find junkies on both piers but at least east p is well litted and more civilised with frequent walkers at night.
For the like of beginner (your 13 yo) the west p is much easy going with clean grd at the end of pier, bar the permanent squatters (fish robbing seals).
Mac fishing have been very slow in dublin this year, but I have seen quite a few wrasse being caught may be you could target them.