Sligo up to Donegal

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Sligo up to Donegal

Postby Killary » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm looking for a few pointers towards where to go anywhere between Sligo, Ballisodare and on up to Donegal. Its about an hours drive plus a bit, but I haven't a clue about where to go. I really don't want to spend the day in the car, changing spots from here to there, so thought it best to ask... What am I after... ray, flats, or if there is easy access to rocks, then wrasse or even a few mackerel... Not fussy really just looking for a day out :)
Killary
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 18 times

Re: Sligo up to Donegal

Postby corbyeire » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:12 pm

head up around Teelin in Donegal - seems all the species are up around there

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
Killary (Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:05 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby keymcg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:31 am

Streedagh or Mullaghmore in co. Sligo. Tullan strand, rossnowlagh, fintra in co. Donegal. All beaches that will produce flatties and occasional trout.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For this message the author keymcg has received thanks:
Killary (Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm)
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby rushnaldo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:10 am

Teelin is blocked to anglers now. The farmer had enough of rubbish being left and walls damaged. Signs and barriers up there now

For this message the author rushnaldo has received thanks:
Killary (Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm)
rushnaldo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby kieran » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 am

If you're based further south, fish the rocks at the very front of Aughris Head in Sligo - on a coming tide, ideally into darkness, it can produce stonking Pollack. Mackerel will show there, and there is plenty of Wrasse, although the potmen have reduced the overall size. The deep pool is excellent at high water for mid water lures.

The local beaches around there produce flatfish, the occasional sea trout and will produce the odd bass, although they tend to be leaner than what you find down south!
Streedagh Point is a nice spot, lots of species, massive current on the rocky point but be warned, it can turn dull and produce an endless sequence of dogfish!

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
Killary (Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby keymcg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:14 pm

rushnaldo wrote:Teelin is blocked to anglers now. The farmer had enough of rubbish being left and walls damaged. Signs and barriers up there now
I can't say I blame the man. The Gunwell will be next. Last time I was there it looked like Glastonbury was held there. No respect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For this message the author keymcg has received thanks:
corbyeire (Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:35 am)
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby rushnaldo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Gunwell is gone to hell altogether. Gangs landing with tents and drinking cans and barbecuing and leaving all behind them over the man's field with animals in it as if it was a public park that someone was going to clean after them. Fence broke every other week. Gate left open and the cows walking down the road past his house. Don't know how he hasn't got it blocked off already it rages me to see it ever6 time I go out carrying bin bags of other people's mess home. Only way to sort it is start taking number plates and photos and prosecute

For this message the author rushnaldo has received thanks:
corbyeire (Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:36 am)
rushnaldo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 109 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum