Nice tides and conditions approaching

Mon May 22, 2017 1:51 pm

So there is a nice set of big tides this week. New moon Thursday. Whats nice about it is we have a high pressure approaching followed by a low if the forecast is right. If you are in the position to fish it as the high is moving off or for the first few hours of the low pressure it could be great. Looks like approx 9-11pm Friday night the low is pushing in. Can be a big feeding trigger. Keep an eye out as this can change in the next few days. SE winds veering westerly.

Re: Nice tides and conditions approaching

Tue May 23, 2017 12:49 am

Was thinking smoothies

Tue May 23, 2017 9:59 am

Yeah, going to be very warm and calm for the next few days, night could be epic but I have seen smoothies caught from the shore during the day also. At the moment that low is still approaching for Friday night.

Tue May 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Eoghan wrote:So there is a nice set of big tides this week. New moon Thursday. Whats nice about it is we have a high pressure approaching followed by a low if the forecast is right. If you are in the position to fish it as the high is moving off or for the first few hours of the low pressure it could be great. Looks like approx 9-11pm Friday night the low is pushing in. Can be a big feeding trigger. Keep an eye out as this can change in the next few days. SE winds veering westerly.

Yep looks good think a late one the weekend could be in order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed May 24, 2017 10:35 am

Have a look at this. John Skinner sums it all up and shows the difference just one day can make.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z-XSIZihxpg&t=4s

Thu May 25, 2017 3:20 pm

What was your pressure predictor - bang on!

Fri May 26, 2017 12:46 pm

I use magic seaweed buddy, its usually very accurate.

Fri May 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Is there a thread here on the pressure thing? I have a fishing predictor app that uses pressure and moon phase to calculate probable favourable fishing periods but I dont understand it myself. Would love to learn more about it. A friend of mine fishes with a guy for pike and your man is literally able to predict his bites, calculating tides, moon phases and pressure - It is a pure art if you ask me!

Eoghan since you know a little about it would you like to do a little tutorial thread on it?? Maybe site some links that could help if your not feeling too much like writing an essay!! :D

Fri May 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Double post
Last edited by ardinn on Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 am

Is the guy using moon phases and tides for fishing for pike???

Sat May 27, 2017 3:31 pm

Kibo37 wrote:Is the guy using moon phases and tides for fishing for pike???

Yup - dont shoot the messenger - aparently though he is spot on - 90% of the time
Last edited by ardinn on Sat May 27, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Also how was the fishing last night - anyone hit on the expected times?

Sat May 27, 2017 3:47 pm

ardinn wrote:Also how was the fishing last night - anyone hit on the expected times?

pretty good smoothie sesh last night :D :D

Sat May 27, 2017 9:36 pm

A red letter day, I'll be looking more into barometric pressure prior to arranging a session going forward!!!

Sun May 28, 2017 12:54 am

Well, i did some research and got this article up. Explains the reasons why pressure change effects feedimg patterns. Fascinating reading.

https://slaneyfishing.com/barometric-pr ... -resource/

Sun May 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Interesting, my mate is adamant so that falling pressure putts trout off the feed. At least that was his excuse for us blanking on Corrib on Friday. Bad angling more likely I suspect !

Mon May 29, 2017 9:20 am

Quick reply, fished the High pressure yesterday with low pressure pushing it away approx 3-6pm and bringing rain with it, which it did. We were right on the money and had 25 bass between 4 of us. I'll get pics and I have a vid from a chest mount camera of a double hook up. Did you watch the vid from John Skinner above....really sums it up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x7pJJaaTCZE

Edited - will get a propper report up later but here is one of the vids from yesterday. By this stage the warm settled weather of the morning had gone, the wind picked up with the approaching low and the sea got a bit choppy, but the bass were well and truly switched on. 1.30 in the afternoon so those who think its needs to be early morning or late evening/dark might think about this :-)

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:36 am

As I'm monitoring this a little now I have noticed a steady rise in pressure up to the 23rd - where the forcast ends :( But, that coincides with big tides and a new moon (obs) on the 21st

Now - if the pressure charts im looking at are correct, this alone is good news but if a cold spell is rolling in on the thursday (lease be to god) this could be the most amazing conditions we have seen in a while!!

Somone look up the HPA for the timeframe and see what you get - My one is predicting 1028 building for 3 days, a storm on the end of that would just be sensational!!!

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Main Point:
I did look at the long range weather forecast for the week after 23rd August and its looking very good indeed with no storm - light winds, no rain, high pressure - its looking so good and settled that I might take a few days of annual leave! Not what you wanted to heat, but its beats the torrential rain from last night!

Aside:
Three of us spent 4 fruitless hours yesterday (Sunday 13th) trying to get a rise from a single pike across 4 miles of the sinking river in northern Galway and then another hour on Curragh West lake. This final hour was interrupted by a large hereford bull and his harem, which was a bit disturbing, as you can imagine, since they crossed a bridge from a neighbouring field without as much as a do-you-mind! No sign on the field either and it was used in competitions the last two weekends in a row.

My point is that "boily" pre-thunderstorm conditions that should have the pike snapping at anything produced not a sausage. Zip. Tried every lure and type of lure in the book and bucket. The river was low (wont be today!), but not in bad condition and boasts tons of good swims in between the weed beds. I suspect it is now simply dead, as in devoid of any pike, which is a terrible shame. They were never big but they were numerous and good fun. Many of the farmers - but sadly not all - have fenced off the land and put in ram pumps to bring water up to their cattle, as opposed to allowing them near or into the river. I doubt the margin is the recommended three metres its supposed to be but at least it exists. The river is heavily weeded but not excessively and the land is mostly marginal so I doubt it gets much fertilizer. This contrasts with other small river waters nearer to me which are showing signs of a slow but gradual improvement in the population of pike therein...

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:21 pm

So - this is happening next sunday night!!

A 10point drop in air pressure is madness - a 50kph increase in winds, 5 degrees in temp all between 4 and 7am when low tide (courtown) is 2:30am

if this forcast is correct..............................