Mackeral fishing

Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Has anyone been shore fishing for mackeral in the Dublin area yet? Or is it a little early?

Re: Mackeral fishing

Sun May 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Bit early I'd say, usually June before there are any numbers around.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 am

Any showing?

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:10 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49538

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:40 am

I caught one in Howth from the east pier on Wednesday 4/5 hours fishing nothing else only crabs while spinning
mickser

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:07 pm

On the pier at Skerries last night, few lads there not having much joy, plenty of seals around. Besides taking your catch is the sighting of seals always bad news? Do seals not go where the fishing is good? Don't take my head off :cry: :roll:

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:11 pm

those big fat guys at piers would be worrying - but in more secluded spaces i think its a good sign - theres fish to be had, otherwise they wouldnt be there

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 pm

Brutal been out dunlaoghaire in the boat last 2 evenings not 1 mackeral presume poolbegs the same

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:55 pm

The lad in the tackle shop up in Balbriggan had only heard of a few joey's being caught from boats off Rush. Plenty of Terns diving so the bait fish are there, maybe not in large enough numbers yet :?: :?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 am

Hopefully its nothing like last year is all il say ☹

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:40 pm

hi all

is there any scenario that helps tell if they are in?
temperature? weather? any other factors or is it just a case of keep trying or word of mouth?
id love for the kids to get a couple on float tackle but i dont want to bring them on too many fruitless trips
they will lose interest

thanks

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:34 pm

temperature over 11 C in the sea is enough for mackerel and its 14 now so no issue there
a few sunny days and higher temperatures tends to see them venture closer inshore - the ideal match is dwindling light and approaching high tide.
beyond that, its about keeping the eyes and ears open and staking your claim on marks that are known to produce...

You can always try to keep their interest by doing a bit of LRF down the pier wall or looking for a conger on the bottom!

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:15 pm

thanks kieran

ive had my 9yr old daughter doing a bit of very light float fishing on the pier in Dun L, good fun
you hear of mini species, we were on the micro's! i had to use a sz 16 to hook them! lol
two inch long whiting or whatever they are
id love to see her tackle a mack! wouldnt mind a few myself too!

cheers

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:00 am

Caught 4 just down from bullock near the school (was on a boat though) probably could of caught more but only one of us was fishing for them, they were a decent size though