Waterford venues?

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Waterford venues?

Postby seank » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi lads.

I am visiting a friend based in waterford in a few weeks time. He is based in waterford city

I'm hoping to do some lure fishing/light bait fishing for bass, wrasse, pollack etc when i'm down there. I am hoping to try a few spots around the county.

Any help on marks, tides etc would be a great help.

Thanks

Sean
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate

For this message the author seank has received thanks:
papasenseida (Mon May 01, 2017 2:43 pm)
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Re: Waterford venues?

Postby partylikeits1969 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:37 pm

I can help a little bit in cork.. don't know anything about Waterford.
Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
William Shakespeare....ish
partylikeits1969
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby Teegerstk » Thu May 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Tramore seems to be a good enough spot. I know people who've had bass off of it. The surrounding cliffs and headlands have decent rock fishing. There are better areas too.
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Postby kieran » Fri May 05, 2017 9:32 am

Health warning - have not fished these marks in many years.

The slipway in Tramore on a coming tide AT NIGHT was always capable of throwing up a few fish, mainly to baits, including an odd bass amongst the flats. It also throws up rowdie drunks after closing time. You can dig a ton of lug and some rag in the back lagoon if you don't want to buy it.

Tramore beach is a monster but there are rips and distinct gullies that you can fish into with reasonable confidence. Do NOT go right down to the point (opposite Saleens) as the currents are ferocious and there is a criss-cross of extreme gullies and ridges, that are very steep and change with each tide. Traces get balled up in minutes.

The Saleens (fish from in front or just to the right of the car park 30 yards out) produces excellent flounder to CRAB baits only from about 2 hours AFTER HW down for 2 hours. Don't be tempted to raid all the crab traps as the locals who farm them would not take kindly to you doing that - in fact don't ever go near them. They're watching!
The beach further out from Saleens can be hit and miss. Did get a schoolie on it to razor on a coming tide. Not the greatest return for the efforts.
The shore past the slipway heading for the Metalman past the small marina has surprising good wrasse fishing and mullet cruise along it at low water, even though it is sand all the way in. Wrasse don't normally like sand so that's why its a bit of a surprise. Marks are not evident - you have to scramble down and pioneer them.
Past the Metalman, my favourite mark for lure fishing was Kilfarassy (aka Drillistown) but it has to be fished on a coming tide and in black darkness (no moon). This is not easy as its the rocks to the right from the beach above the tiny car park. The beach is very shallow. There is a deep gully (survey at low water) that can be magical (and not hold a fish for weeks, never figured it out). The rocks are sharp so you need to fish it with someone and be careful. Broken limb possible if you don't keep your wits.

I am told that Brownstown head has decent Pollack marks, but never fished it. Pollack in Waterford is like fishing for mackerel in the Bahamas - you can if you want...

Hope this helps... check the old shore guide on the front page of the website as I put decent info up in the past, spent a lot of time down there...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum