Times for digging rag/spawning season?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi all,
It's been a few months since I've been fishing (exams have kept me busy) and I was thinking of heading out before the end of the week and was hoping to dig some rag at a local spot. Is it OK to dig rag now or should I wait a bit longer? Thanks a lot
E

Re: Times for digging rag/spawning season?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:48 pm

There used to be a time when all rag beds in Dublin anyway we're left alone during a voluntary ban betwern 1st of November till the 17th of march.now in recent times this has been getting ignored by all of the commercial bait diggers it won't be long till everything is destroyed. The problem is the gobshite anglers that are buying rag out of season and causing this destruction of the beds, if it wernt for them buying rag everything would be given a chance to recover. Go and dig your few rag for yourself it's the likes of you that wouldn't have any impact on a bait bed. It's a pity there wasn't more like you having such consideration for our precious resources.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:14 am

JOHN1 wrote:There used to be a time when all rag beds in Dublin anyway we're left alone during...

Thanks for that, it's a pity people have no consideration for our environment and the wildlife. Seems as though they can't look past money and see the bigger picture.
I'm lucky I've ever only seen one or two people at my spot (mind you they didn't backfill their trenches).

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 pm

The shops should stick to them dates most do and clubs to

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Agree, but the shops are only selling them to make money, it's obvious they don't care.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Goin on a good while now pisses me off too as the beds them selves in dublin are absolute hammered all year round

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 pm

lads can you ever freezed king rag eg weather shite now at moment lads do any of you ever freeze king rag to use at a later date any info helps

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Never freeze ragworm

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:04 pm

It'll just turn to mush. I've heard of salting ragworm but the effectiveness will never be as good as fresh. Better to use frozen wraps or crab.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:28 pm

thanks for info lads