new boat rod - advice please

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

new boat rod - advice please

Postby kieran » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi all

Finally biting the bullet and accepting a loaned rod is never returning :evil: ...

Debating whether to go for Sonik SK3 WXTR uptider (€99 to my door) and 10 foot long (which I use for congers and wrasse off rocks, extra reach is handy) or for a Daiwa Kenzaki 12-20 lb 3 piece (€122 to my door) which is c. 7.6 foot long but comes with an enviable reputation..

is it worth paying double over an Ugly Stik equivalent given I'm not going to using it all that often?

Cheers

Kieran
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: new boat rod - advice please

Postby Tanglerat » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:11 am

Tricky question. There was a time when I'd have solved the conundrum by eventually buying all three...

Generally speaking, because I don't know the Sonik at all, and I don't buy much Diawa gear - I've never faulted the Shakespear range of rods for being what they are - a pretty good affordable tool that's not lacking in quality either.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby jellybait » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 am

I can high;y recommend the ugly stick for being a nice rod and takes a good bit of abuse - I use sonik rods for my pike and coarse fishing and they are a lovely rod but alot more fragile than the like of the shakesphere , cant comment on the diawa im afraid
I use a diawa uptider for uptiding but have found it great for off piers and rocks for bigger species and you can get a cast with it
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby kieran » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:11 am

jellybait wrote:I can high;y recommend the ugly stick for being a nice rod and takes a good bit of abuse - I use sonik rods for my pike and coarse fishing and they are a lovely rod but alot more fragile than the like of the shakesphere , cant comment on the diawa im afraid
I use a diawa uptider for uptiding but have found it great for off piers and rocks for bigger species and you can get a cast with it

Thanks everyone.

Jellybait, what's the uptider called? I like Daiwa rods, always good built and the blanks are usually excellent...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ste c » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:01 pm

To be honest you wont be a kenzaki but the ugly stick gx2s are about €50 alot of rod for the money to be fair
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby jellybait » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:45 am

the uptider is an old one i have called Vulcan X , I really like this rod , but im not sure you can get it anymore , i aslo use a penn progression uptider ,but it doesnt have the backbone of the vulcan x , I havent lookked at any of the uptiders on the market at the minute , Im sure there are some nice ones ,mmmmmm Thats got me thinking
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 53 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum