plans for 2017

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:35 pm

It's been 3 months to the day since the last activity on the Boat Angling Forum which is depressing, so in an effort to blow away the tumbleweed and lift the winter gloom I thought I'd start a thread. What are your boat fishing hopes, dreams and ambitions for the year ahead?

Re: plans for 2017

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Rob Millard wrote:It's been 3 months to the day since the last activity on the Boat Angling Forum which is depressing, so in an effort to blow away the tumbleweed and lift the winter gloom I thought I'd start a thread. What are your boat fishing hopes, dreams and ambitions for the year ahead?

I recently sat down with a mate and we counted over 100 species that have been caught boat fishing in Donegal bay. The plan is to see how many we can get this year. He is going to run a species hunt on the boat this year. The card is made up ready to start ticking them off when the season starts

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:09 pm

My hopes are as always to get out at least once a month during winter and never blank when I do head out.(only once in a lifetime of fishing have i seen someone blank on my boat and I'm proud to say it wasn't me). I have been out twice this year so im on track and I have caught a few fish on both occasions!! Things can only improve from here on.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:13 pm

keymcg wrote:
Rob Millard wrote:It's been 3 months to the day since the last activity on the Boat Angling Forum which is depressing, so in an effort to blow away the tumbleweed and lift the winter gloom I thought I'd start a thread. What are your boat fishing hopes, dreams and ambitions for the year ahead?

I recently sat down with a mate and we counted over 100 species that have been caught boat fishing in Donegal bay. The plan is to see how many we can get this year. He is going to run a species hunt on the boat this year. The card is made up ready to start ticking them off when the season starts

wow, sounds cool. would love so see the list if you were willing to post it here :)
(without interrupting this thread too much I hope..)

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:24 pm

I will get a picture of it and post it

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:09 pm

First of all I hope everyone has a safe and productive year's boat fishing. I also hope that the Boat catch report page here sees a bit more action, as I really enjoy following other people's reports from around the country, and I'll endeavor to add to it myself. There's good reasons to be optimistic about the year ahead. Despite repeated doom and gloom stories about overfishing and declining stocks, if you look back over the last couple of years, there's lots to be positive about. Porbeagle sharks and common skate seem to be making a nice comeback, a Thresher and a Mako being caught in Cork, a truly worldclass Bluefin Tuna fishery returning to the northwest (Adrian Molloy had over 80 BFT last year), Luke Aston continues to put customers on 1000lb+ Six Gill Sharks, Mike Sherwood catching 5 x species over 100lbs in a calander year (albeit 2 of them were in Wales), some truly spectacular catches by Graham Smith . . . from a bloody kayak. So bring on 2017, and let's hope the weather plays ball. Tight lines everyone.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Planning on targetting alot of tope this year from greystones and wexford hopefully it goes to plan

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:12 pm

You towing a boat to wexford ste ? If so I hope you have the trailer licence sorted. they are putting the hammers on a lot of lads towing trailers of all shapes and sizes.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Pm sent

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Good report Rob of the fishing around the country, I would love to get a porbeagle,and also to fish a few new spots ,something different ,eddie....

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:29 pm

You certainly have the vessel for it now Eddie

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:20 am

Missed out on my Valentia Island run last year cracking fishing down there.
On the list for this year also is an animal run on the East coast.

Before anyone plans their first boat trip of the year I'd advise them to check their lifejackets.
Blow it up manually and hang it up over night this is what I found 2 years ago.
0000.JPG

PS. I'll might :oops: be looking for some help on them animal marks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:39 am

Good advice Donal. I'm familiar with North Wexford animal marks, so please give me a shout when you're planning a trip and I'll be happy to help out!

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:52 am

Rob Millard wrote:Good advice Donal. I'm familiar with North Wexford animal marks, so please give me a shout when you're planning a trip and I'll be happy to help out!

Cheers for that and if you want any info for Cork or Valencia it's there for you.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 pm

keep me informed on your east coast trip Donal i will try buddy up with you :wink:

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:30 am

Well , My plans are more of the same as last year , I had an amazing year along the south east coast and this year , Id like to try a few more wrecks off the east coast within range of a small boat , and also try a few shark runs out off the south east ,(could be a waste of time !) also to land a few of the big tope i lost off greystones last year ,With so many new species turning up in our waters ,id like to see whats out there , You would be very suprized !

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 pm

I would hope to get a few more trips out this year and perhaps re-visit a few marks in Donegal Bay where I started my boat fishing years ago. Skate have been turning up in the bay in the last few years; I have a notion as to where they hang out so I might give them a go though I might have to add a new rod to the armoury as 6-12lb would hardly do. I haven't had a tope for a few years so I would hope to target them, Chuckaroo might join me for that? A couple of new marks to be tried in Cork as well, and a bit less aggravation from wheel bearings would be welcome!

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 pm

JOHN1 wrote:You towing a boat to wexford ste ? If so I hope you have the trailer licence sorted. they are putting the hammers on a lot of lads towing trailers of all shapes and sizes.

Yeah be towing it john an have that sorted towing horse boxes long before boats

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Do you venture far yourself? Any decent slips down that way john? Heard a few horror storys but in sayin that the people that were driving them was another thing

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:26 pm

johnwest wrote:Chuckaroo might join me for that?

Of course. And/or for the skate too! :mrgreen: