The age old question...Cod in Donegal???

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:04 am

I've tried a few times to get a cod from the shores of North donegal but to no avail.... am I wasting my time or will I stick it out and keep trying?

Re: The age old question...Cod in Donegal???

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:39 am

I reckon at this time of days you will find all the cod bashers are in Cobh lol

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:21 am

You would think it be better up there but for some reson it's better down south I have meet guys that came all the way down to fish in cork for cod

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:16 am

The big cod they catch around Ballycastle (at night and in the worst of conditions each winter) would suggest that there should be good cod fishing in Donegal, but as far as I know the movement of cod around Ballycastle is tied into a favourable current and their migration into the Irish Sea for spawning (memory could be very dodgy around this). The only cod in Mayo are off one or two north facing beaches (so this could be replicated in Donegal) and they're usually beaten to the bait by the hordes of small coalfish (ribble). The better cod in Mayo are all offshore on rough ground where sand lies between the gullies in reef systems. I'd suspect that the same would apply in Donegal. Small white feathers are especially effective bounced on the bottom this time of year... given up on them from the shore. Suggest Cork, boy! :mrgreen: