Razor As Bait

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Razor As Bait

Postby Teegerstk » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:46 pm

Well lads, was in my local tackle shop to pick up some hooks and impulse bought a pack of razor - €3.45 for 5! (Was I ripped?)
I haven't heard of razor being collected on beaches near me but I want to try it out.
I've read that you usually use them in tough conditions - big surf, winds/storms so they probably wouldn't work off the local pier!
How would I bait them up and what species would I pick up with them?
I'm going to hit a south facing beach with a mix of rock and sand on the bottom, going to fish with them, peeler and rag, would like to pick up a bass although it's unlikely.
Has anyone had success with them?
Thanks
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Razor As Bait

Postby cod chaser » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi,razor fish is a top bait for bass. Have caught cod flounder all on frozen Razor to . I fish them on clean beaches targeting Bass. I mount them on a pennel rig on 2/0 wide gape hooks. If the Razor is big I fold it in half & bind it with bait elastic. Tread it on the lower hook some more elastic & Nick in the top hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cod chaser
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 93 times

Re: Razor As Bait

Postby Teegerstk » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:37 pm

cod chaser wrote:Hi,razor fish is a top bait for bass. Have caught cod flounder all on frozen Razor to . I fish them on clean beaches targeting Bass. I mount them on a pennel rig on 2/0 wide gape hooks. If the Razor is big I fold it in half & bind it with bait elastic. Tread it on the lower hook some more elastic & Nick in the top hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers, hopefully there'll be a surf up when I fish
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum