Irish Angler's Digest Ceases Publishing

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Irish Angler's Digest Ceases Publishing

Postby Ashley Hayden » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:28 am

Back in 1985 I wrote an article on Smooth Hound for the "Angling News", an early incarnation of the "Irish Angler's Digest". Eric Parke's edited and published both magazines for thirty years and should be commended for his services to Irish angling, well done Eric.

The magazine is dead now as is a local Greystones tackle shop "Gotcha Angling" which closed its doors last weekend. Both closures are a true reflection of Ireland's angling product and not our socio - economic times where more people want to engage with the out doors and the economy is on the rise - get your eye on the ball official Ireland for it appears that you are living in a parallel universe.

Thank you Liam Kane and Brian Cooke for your sea angling articles over the years and good luck Eric.

For this message the author Ashley Hayden has received thanks: 4
corbyeire (Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:03 pm), greg (Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:57 pm), Mick001 (Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:40 pm), TubeNFish (Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:16 pm)
Ashley Hayden
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 209 times

Re: Irish Angler's Digest Ceases Publishing

Postby JimC » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:00 pm

Cork Angling and Outdoor are closing down too!
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby TubeNFish » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:15 pm

I also have fond memories of the old Angling News. I used to do game articles for Eric back then.
But Ashley:
.... the economy is on the rise .....Who said that?
Aaah yes ... the government and it's "reliable" economic statistics.
And their track record for honesty is what exactly?
No problems...
No property bubble..
Soft landing coming..
We will burn the bank and hedge fund bondholders and not pass private losses onto taxpayers..
The ripping of 15% from your pension fund is a once only thing, we'll never do it again....

And now the same clowns assert we are in a rising economy. Yeah. With 60 grand of concealed illicit debt on every man woman and child, to be taken in tax before we get back to where we were 10- years ago.

These closures reveal what actually is, not what the liars say.
When they come knocking and looking for your vote, give them hell, all of them.
Norm

For this message the author TubeNFish has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:04 pm), patk (Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:49 pm)
TubeNFish
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby keymcg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:00 pm

All good points but don't forget the damage done by the Internet to both these industries.
Cheaper online products are taking custom from tackle shops and magazines alike.
I support my local tackle shop as far as possible. I am a great believer in spending local, I think it's the only way that this country is going to pick itself up again.
Tackle shops don't just sell tackle, they provide a valuable service too. Free local information, bait for that unplanned session and a bit of craic and banter. You can't buy any of that on the Internet.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

For this message the author keymcg has received thanks: 9
chuckaroo (Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:28 pm), ecleary (Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:54 pm), eyesreilly (Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:54 pm), johnwest (Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:08 pm), Paul Harris (Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:18 pm), rocketman (Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:39 pm), ShaneH (Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:52 pm), the weasel (Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:10 pm), TubeNFish (Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:59 pm)
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby DL.TURBOT » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:30 am

It is a shame to see things going the way they are....Unfortunately tackle dealers have been on the decline for a while due to online sales - It seems even for a few pounds saved people will go online.

This then has a part knock on effect in the publishing business as online sellers do not need to advertise in print media - Magazines simply cannot survive without advertising and subsequently they go out of business....Causing less places for small tackle to advertise, people buy online etc, etc...

Anyone interested in writing any form of angliong article and having them published please get in touch with me as there is ONE magazine remaining which has been going some years and have an angling section which they are keen to increase and on the look out for writers, especially SALTY anglers!
DL.TURBOT
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby salar » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:01 pm

The Independent (uk) was and is one of the worlds great titles. From March on it will only available online. In a nutshell people are quite prepared to pay considerably more for a paper cup of overpriced coffee and walk around with one arm disabled - but buying a really good printed newspaper is out........

I give up!

For this message the author salar has received thanks:
jd (Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:22 pm)
salar
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 72 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions