Sea trout run

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 pm

Want to target sea trout this year .will be heading out to connamra in to weeks .just wondering would they be running yet

Re: Sea trout run

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:28 pm

I presume that you intend to target them in the sea?
sea trout will be caught along our shores right now, arguably found closer to and on beaches and near estuary/river mouths. They usually don't start heading up the rivers again until April onwards and into the Summer
You need a license to target them and there is a size and daily bag limit..
Last edited by chuckaroo on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:16 pm

This time of year is the best for them round galway - they seem to be more prominent later in the year up the coast

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:44 am

Sorry for hijacking post but was wondering do u still need a licence if targeting sea trout from beaches or is it just in rivers thanks lads

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:02 pm

officially it is anywhere as the call on where the sea ends and river starts is too vague

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:21 pm

You need a permit for sea trout no matter where you are fishing. Doesn't matter if it's beach, river or estuary. IFI can confiscate your gear if they find you in possession of sea trout without a permit.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Just catch and release they can't touch you

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:42 pm

ogie wrote:Want to target sea trout this year .will be heading out to connamra in to weeks .just wondering would they be running yet

IFI have decreed Connemara sea trout to be C&R only in 2016 and stipulate using single barbless hooks only when practicing C&R.
I have found them almost impossible to land using barbless hooks and difficult at times with trebles. :(
Good Luck with your fishing.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:06 pm

Few showing around dublin marks now

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks for the info lads nearly always catch and release
Except fresh pollock and macs .

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:42 pm

FYI a lad had all his gear confiscated coming off Tullan at the end of January - If its a licenced area do not keep 1 without the licence