What times are best for beach fishing?

Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:04 pm

Hey lads can anyone tell me what's the best time for beach fishing, and do I need different equipment to pier fishing or is it nearly the same?

Re: What times are best for beach fishing?

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:27 pm

To get a few reply's on the best times to fish a beach you will need to narrow it down a bit.
Where are you planning to go?
A bit more detail on the rod/reel size and the type of traces

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:38 pm

donal domeney wrote:To get a few reply's on the best times to fish a beach you will need to narrow it down a bit.
Where are you planning to go?
A bit more detail on the rod/reel size and the type of traces

I'm going to Duncannon beach in Wexford. I'm a beginner so I can't really give you much info on my gear, I use an 11ft rod and a 2 hook flapper if that helps. What I mean is should I fish in the dark or does it make a difference?

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:07 am

Fish under the fort on the beach half way down the ebb to low water at night with neap tide should trow up some codling and under the flats in the middle of the beach from half way up till high for some nice flounder on lug dug from the beach nice and handy!!! Cast as far as you can under the fort for cod no more than 20 feet for flounder under the apartments!! Darkness is always best

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:24 pm

wormy24 wrote:Fish under the fort on the beach half way down the ebb to low water at night with neap tide should trow up some codling and under the flats in the middle of the beach from half way up till high for some nice flounder on lug dug from the beach nice and handy!!! Cast as far as you can under the fort for cod no more than 20 feet for flounder under the apartments!! Darkness is always best

Thanks lad, I'll try that one I have the time. Any tips on digging lug? I tried it Friday and I couldn't find a single worm. I'm thinking of buying them instead, easier.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:28 pm

If theres been a strong enough southerly down there the lug go way down and it gets harder to dig them. Look for casts that arent bunched together! Stand with the cast infront of you squiggly bit (the cast) to the left and blow hole to the right. I dig one hole just in front of both to take the pressure of the spade then put the spade down vertically behind cast and blow hole and go down as far as i can! Your problem might be what you are digging with. A narrow long spade i find best down there but some people use a sprong! Sorry if i confused you pm if i can help you with anything else ill try explain it better