What do bass do or where do they go in winter

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:57 pm

Just wondering what bass do in winter do they just simply slow down their metabolism or do they travel to warmer waters ???? Any ideas. :? :?

Re: What do bass do or where do they go in winter

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Bass leave the estuaries and harbours and the shoreline and head offshore. This is happening since the end of Oct. As to how far they go is a matter of some conjecture. It is thought that they aggregate (shoal up) for breeding.
By End of March April they are heading back inshore.

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Deadly thanks

Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:16 pm

There are 16 bass swimming about Cork Harbour with Sattelite tags fitted to them. This is an IFI study. The tags are meant to pop off at pre set intervals. Basically they want to see where the tags will pop off and signal in the new year. They tried last year but the tags all went off prematurely.
Unless all the tags end up in the one area I'm not too sure what will be proved, other than bass 1 was at certain point, bass 2 was at a certain point and so on.

I think I would prefer if where the bass go remains unknown. For their safety.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:18 am

Can IFI see where the fish are at any stage Jim or is it just when the tag pops off? Surely they won't release the "area" if there is one.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 am

The tags are "pop off" and transmit when they are at the surface.
If there was "an area" what are the chances of keeping it quiet?

I don't think they would get them all together somehow. The tags are set to go off in pairs at intervals ( if done the same as last year) The fish do not all leave together and do not return together ( they may/are likely to be be in groups however). So unless they all pop off in the one area then the fish could be in transit. Coming or going or static If you get my meaning.

Either way it will be interesting to see how far the tags show movement, provided they get that far this year!

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Can they not track tags underwater? This whole "popping off" mullarky seems fairly ridiculous. Spend decent money on tracking 100 bass and get a proper Idea!

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:30 pm

ardinn wrote:Can they not track tags underwater? This whole "popping off" mullarky seems fairly ridiculous. Spend decent money on tracking 100 bass and get a proper Idea!

It is not as simple as throwing money at it. Tagging is relatively new. The technology is evolving. Gps needs to "see" the satellites.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:43 pm

ardinn wrote:Can they not track tags underwater? This whole "popping off" mullarky seems fairly ridiculous. Spend decent money on tracking 100 bass and get a proper Idea!

Tags that constantly log and feed back location data are available but they are expensive and bulky, too bulky for a bass plus they need to be on the surface to get a signal. They are used on whales and turtles and sometimes on large sharks.

Tags that log temperature data then pop off after a while and give a signal so they can be retrieved are more common.
By logging the temperature profile of the water the researchers can get a pretty good idea of where the fish has been, it's surprisingly accurate.

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:50 pm

There was a guy spinning for bass and tagging them in Tramore during this summer.