Pollock

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Pollock

Postby Gabikyla » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:59 pm

I was thinking of feeding my dog fresh caught pollock. Do ye think it would be good for her ?
Gabikyla
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Pollock

Postby donal domeney » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:12 pm

Fed my Rottweiler a big load of it just now, great for their coat. He's 10 1/2 now and he been getting fish since he was a pup

watch the first time feeding him it might run through him.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby ste c » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:47 pm

Iv a rottweiler meself give her cod liver oil tabs and she loves fish great for there coat just make sure theres no small bones that wont get stuck in there neck
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby Derek M » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:43 pm

yes its good for them just watch with the small dogs don't get bones caught in their throats as ive seen happen, now for my small dogs i boil and take out all the bones,big dogs get them whole.
Derek M
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby Deleted User 3488 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:05 pm

I give my dog a few small whiting and mackerel heads every now and then, she loves it.
Boil, then simmer them for a good 45 mins to an hour and the bones become like chalk,
Under-cooking fish bones for dogs can be dangerous!
Deleted User 3488

Postby Morgan44 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:02 am

Why not try feeding it dog food , all fish caught do not need to be killed and then find a use for the dead fish , if it's killed to eat or because it was badly hooked and wouldn't survive that's great , if the fish are killed just for the sake of it I think it's very sad , how many pages on this forum are dedicated to lack of fish to catch . If someone was feeding bass to their dog the whole forum would be in outrage but because it's not a bass it seems fine ,wise up on protecting all the spiecies that swim around this country . This is not me having a go at the original author he is entitled to do what ever he wants and the question could of been asked for many different reasons but I fish all over the south of Ireland , I see undersized fish thrown on the side to die , I never see anyone use a priest to kill the fish they are taking , and everything caught is taken and the usual excuse of its the trawlers taking all the fish what I do makes no difference is wearing thin . Everything we do as anglers makes a difference . We are now entering the cod season and there will be pictures of us with twenty and thirty cod lined up on the floor to be taken home , how many of them will be in the bottom of the freezer in twelve months time , how many of them will have been unhooked and just left to die instead of being killed quickly and efficiently, how many of them will be given away because we have caught so many and don't know what to do with them , I've an idea try putting some back . . How long before a thread appears on here saying there is no cod around or no pollock about and it's all the trawlers fault

For this message the author Morgan44 has received thanks: 7
chuckaroo (Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:30 pm), DAMIEN (Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:37 pm), Dave78 (Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:09 am), johnwest (Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:57 am), Ken Hawk (Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:19 pm), roooster (Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:46 am), shortcircuit (Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:07 pm)
Morgan44
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby basshunter10 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:01 am

The man who posted this thread was looking for marks for pollock a few weeks ago, wind up merchant, let him feed his dog, he was struggling to feed himself and his guests a few weeks ago so he's not going to do much damage. This shite of asking for marks, updates, beds... go and f**king fish it, find your own marks, learn how to catch, we can all go fishing. Lads getting drunk off there's no fish and other lads getting the dog all shiney. Give up lads, do you think a few flappers within a 100/200 yards from shore in a puddle 3 times the size of the earths land mass makes a difference... Get digging, get collecting, get oiling the reels and tying your rigs, cod around the corner and they'll only be here a few months,. Pollock, feed the dog... Must be a right Hungary dog.

For this message the author basshunter10 has received thanks: 2
Dave78 (Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:03 pm), Morgan44 (Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:42 am)
basshunter10
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Gabikyla » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:49 pm

I wasnt looking for marks basshunter, I was looking for a general area where pollock may be, and a little closer to home.

I have hungarian friends who come once a year and like to fish, I have fished maybe 5 or 6 times in my life. I fish with them and we dont catch much, hardly a danger to the pollock population are we morgan.

The reason I wanted to give the fish to the dog was because they got drunk and forgot to clean out the fish before putting them in the freezer. We ate what we needed that night and froze the resy. we had about 20 fish in total.

Regards
Gabikyla
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Morgan44 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Gabikya , I will use smaller words next time but if you read my post you would of seen that I put that my comment was not a dig at the author and you are entitled to do what you want and I didn't know the reasons for your question . As an angler my reason for the post was that I have an issue with the wanton killing of any fish for the sake of it what ever spiecies it is ,and I don't like the way people leave fish to die without killing them quickly . You don't need to justify your actions and how you fish to me only to yourself
Morgan44
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 75 times

Postby JimC » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:34 am

Mod: This looks to be going nowhere.... I'll lock it up for now.
Anybody wanting a further reply can PM first.
Thanks.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum