size limits for fish taken from beaches???

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:49 pm

Is there a size limit for fish caught on rod and line from the beach i know bass has one and trout what about Pollock,codding or whiting for that matter just looking at the 9in whiting on the home page of site today :( personally i don't take fish unless one side of it does one dinner.The smallest fish i take would be mackerel which i use as bait the small ones or when small whiting die before release.whats peoples views on size to be kept etc. and if theres a size limit for species mentioned above.

Re: size limits for fish taken from beaches???

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:53 pm

No fish size limit

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:14 pm

What a shame, no wonder some beaches which where good in 80s have become nearly baron today.You"d think the government would have brought in size limits in this day and age.

Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:43 pm

I personally very, very rarely keep any fish I catch. I absolutely love eating fish, but I love the process of catching fish even more than that. I don't actually need to eat the fish I catch BUT the fish I catch do need me to return them to the sea if their stocks are to have a chance to replenish going forward.

In saying that, if I decided I wanted to keep a fish I wouldn't keep any species under 40cm.

Regards,
John D.

Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:15 pm

John D wrote:I personally very, very rarely keep any fish I catch. I absolutely love eating fish, but I love the process of catching fish even more than that. I don't actually need to eat the fish I catch BUT the fish I catch do need me to return them to the sea if their stocks are to have a chance to replenish going forward.

In saying that, if I decided I wanted to keep a fish I wouldn't keep any species under 40cm.

Regards,
John D.

good view of it you have john good for you
Regards Derek

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Ye have to wonder why they keep these fish and what/how do they eat them..? Cook em and eat em bones n all as they cant produce a fillet really.
I heard of a very sad case were an angler was keeping small sea trout and feeding them to his dog. What hope do we have.

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:34 am

Eoghan wrote:Ye have to wonder why they keep these fish and what/how do they eat them..? Cook em and eat em bones n all as they cant produce a fillet really.
I heard of a very sad case were an angler was keeping small sea trout and feeding them to his dog. What hope do we have.

I've nothing against my dogs fish mackerel, the odd few dog fish or rainbow trout fish that are plentiful compared to the rarer sea trout :roll: the mind boggles

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:23 am

Absolutely Derek, no harm in that at all. but this guy was keeping 4-6 inch sea trout for his dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:10 am

I was fishing down in ballycotton in August and there were these three guys and they kept everything they caught such as small pollock no bigger than your average hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:08 pm

bogman wrote:I was fishing down in ballycotton in August and there were these three guys and they kept everything they caught such as small pollock no bigger than your average hand

There seems to be a lot of it going around over the past number of years and most seem to be from different parts of the world that ive incountered maybe that's how they do it in there country but in Ireland as ive explained to some of them we don't do it like this.Some took note but most did not care less :evil:

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:15 pm

You are correct there,they were from Eastern Europe and bullied there way onto the pier wall making a family (father and two sons) move away as it wasn't safe and to top it off were drinking cans as if it was going out of fashion....I mean if they fell in off the wall because they were drunk.....crazy........they don't care about their surroundings what they do and how it can affect people.