Rigs for bass, smoothound etc.

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Rigs for bass, smoothound etc.

Postby bogwoppit » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:02 pm

So I'm planning my second shore session (took a break for years), the last time out I had a 2 hook flapper with rag at various distances which was getting doggies and sm pups, 2nd rod had a pulley rig and crab as far as I could cast and got smoothound.

I was getting stripped on the worm when darkness fell without any bites registering. What could I do different next time? Smaller hooks? Different bait/rig?

I'm happy to fish the pulley for the whole session in the hope of a bigger smoothie but I also have a 1up 1down rig which I'm told is good for the bass. If I was to fish this instead of the flapper after dark what bait would be best on it?

I'm fishing near Courtown by the way.

Thanks for the help.

Al
bogwoppit
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 28 times

Re: Rigs for bass, smoothound etc.

Postby squid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:21 pm

Probably crabs stripping your bait. If you were catching enough fish on the flapper during the day I don't see any need to change the bait and hook size. The 1 up 1 down would be ok for bass considering you could try a different bait on each hook. Use a combination of baits like lug, rag, razorfish and peeler and fish close in into the surf.
squid
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby bogwoppit » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks squid, are there many bass around Wexford these days?
bogwoppit
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby squid » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:43 pm

I wouldn't really know I don't fish much down that way.
squid
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum