kerry fishing

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

kerry fishing

Postby justin » Thu May 21, 2015 11:49 am

myself and afew mates are planning a trip to the kingdom next month. first time going. just looking to see what peoples opinions are and what locations are best. i was thinking dingle or waterville as good areas to go or start from.

justin
justin
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: kerry fishing

Postby antokildare » Thu May 21, 2015 9:44 pm

What species you going after justin.
antokildare
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby justin » Fri May 22, 2015 12:55 pm

bass would be one, and if on the beach for bass would try for flatfish too. cant beat wrasse and pollock on a light rod, have a rod that makes catching them a good laugh. thats what we have in mind but i know theres other species. just alittle unsure on them. ive never fished for dogfish or huss before but would take all info from people.
justin
SAI Lug Worm

Postby donal domeney » Sat May 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Tackle shops in the Kerry area are not the best. There is one in Dingle but it might not be the best for fresh bait
The nearest would be landers in Tralee http://www.landers.ie/ but ring ahead to be sure. If you do head that way ask for directions to SPA or Gaynor’s corner for rays (stingers if you lucky 8) ) sand eel and crab baits are best there.

Dingle would be the best choice: Two options from here for bass, Inch beach on the Southern side or the beaches in Brandon bay to the north. The Brandon bay beaches suffer from surfers so a 4x4 is a handy option for getting further up the beach and away from them. Fermoyle (52.14.625,,, 10.07.471, Degrees Decimal Minutes on Google Earth) is the nearest to Dingle on the northern side. A lovely spin over the mountains. You will be able to dig a few lugworm on the left hand side on the way out to the beach. The beaches to the right would have a few more surfers on them so best for mornings or late evenings. These beaches will also produce some flounder, plaice and the odd painted ray. https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2447748 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Inch beach on the Southern side is your best option for bass. This can be driven on in a car. Fishes best at the start of the beach and to the right but the surfers also gather there. So again early morning or at night. Watch for surges of water coming from your right as the tide gets near the cliff.
You will find a few lugworm here https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1475358 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Other beaches worth a go for bass are Kinard/Trabeg https://www.google.com/maps/@52.12316,- ... a=!3m1!1e3

For something different Ventry will produce flounder, dogs and some huss and thornbacks. Turn down by Paidi O Se’s pub .
Yes all the signposts are in Irish down this way. Do the paper work before you head over use Google earth to put marks into your satnav.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1269914 ... a=!3m1!1e3

The outer pier in Dingle for conger dogs and the odd thornback.

Ferriter’s cove is worth a go for bass and flounder https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1761731 ... a=!3m1!1e3 on the right hand side there a long spit of land going out. Fishing from the northern side will get good Pollack and wrasse fishing.

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/angling- ... uth-west-1

I’ll do something on Waterville tomorrow because it's time for a pint or two. It's an Irish thing :lol:
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 5
achilles (Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:01 pm), corbyeire (Sun May 24, 2015 1:17 pm), nicefish (Sat May 23, 2015 8:31 pm), paul skelly (Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:33 pm), shortcircuit (Mon May 25, 2015 3:11 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby justin » Sat May 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks donal. Alot of info there. Going in the van so that might narrow some places down if terrain is hard to get at. Will sit down with the guys this week and finalise plans. Have a electric cooler so might look at bringing are own bait.
justin
SAI Lug Worm

Postby donal domeney » Sun May 24, 2015 2:10 pm

justin wrote:Thanks donal. Alot of info there. Going in the van so that might narrow some places down if terrain is hard to get at. Will sit down with the guys this week and finalise plans. Have a electric cooler so might look at bringing are own bait.

That puts a different slant on things.
Have ye fixed a date? For a quick tide guide use Cobh and it's minus 1 hour.
You will be able to drive on Inch but the Brandon beaches will require you to park up at the end of the lanes and walk 100yds to the water and a bit more to get away from surfers. The knack is to fish up wind from them as the are inclined to be pushed along with the wind while surfing.
The other venues are all a case of park up and the beach is in front of you. Best to walk a 100yds left or right to keep away from the day trippers.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby privatepile » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:46 pm

This is fantastic information, Thank You,

I only started sea fishing last summer and as soon as Autumn came i put the gear away in the shed, Unfortunately a shelf broke in there and came straight down on the reel and cracked it.

Il pick up a reel soon enough and start fishing again. I like the idea of heading to Dingle and fishing off the pier for some dogs and congers. Anything i have caught so far has being thrown back. It seems it would be a valuable way to gain some experience reeling in Dogs and Congers.

For this message the author privatepile has received thanks:
donal domeney (Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:54 pm)
privatepile
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby eddyfletch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:31 pm

i would also give the SPA a go for rays :)
Species 2017 Shore caught Dog Fish Codling Flounder Strap Conger 3 bearded rocky Conger Dab Scorpion fish (22cm) Pollack Thornback Ray Tub Gurnard Sea Bass Smoothhound coalie
eddyfletch
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby Paddyschoice » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi Eddiefletch- Just wondering where is a good spot in the SPA for ray (anywhere specific)? I'm from Tralee, but haven't fished in about 12 years, but took it up again a few months ago and all I'm after at the moment is a ray! Living in cork but no luck yet up here, so going home this weekend to see can I pick up a ray!
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby venbugtrap » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Brandon Creek, near Ballydavid, is a great spot for Pollack and Wrasse, and from what I've heard it's pretty good for conger too. The pier is lit up at night so it's nice and safe. I haven't targeted them yet, but I've seen Bull Huss and Grey Mullet there, which are also worth a try.
venbugtrap
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum