Re: Radier 18 holding water help needed.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi Donal we had the boat in my shed for the winter and off the trailer. We anti foulded the boat and any marks were filled nothing deep only scratches . The boat hasn't been on the water since and it is collecting water. So it has to be from the deck . But where is the problem . We emptied out the best we could from the hatches we put in . And after a down pour we checked it again. It was full. Hi Hugo . Thanks for the reply that's good thinking we will try the die. Was it a crack you had on your boat? Was it easy found?

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:31 pm

So if the water's coming in from the deck area and not thru the hull, that's less serious, but the coloured dye idea wont help you there, that was a suggestion for finding a hull crack. My old tub's upper parts had been drilled and screwed into so many times over the years there were probably a good few paths for water entry, so it was a process of elimination, and its still not completely solved, but tolerable. Until you finally fix the leak, you could fit a small auto bilge pump to keep things dry under deck.
I dont know the Raider, are there any pipes or cables coming up thru the deck anywhere?

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:49 am

Hi no there is no pipes or cables comming through the floor area. We got a mini pump and tryed to fit it but the shape of the raider underneath won't let it suck up the water. A spong is all we can use.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:29 am

Ok. Maybe a manual bilge would do it, you can stick the end of the suction hose into the most awkward corner with Tec 7. Without seeing the boat, its impossible to guess where the leak might be, even tiny screw hole will drip in a heap of water on a wet day.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:36 pm

had somthing similar with a boat this year ,
what i done was in the well in theback of the floor there was a bung , took it out and bunged a compressor hose in it,
turn it on and sprayed some washing up liquid on the deck , it showed bubbles were the air was leaking,
dont know if its possible for u to do this but its defo the easiest way to find how the water is getting down,

Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:52 am

Sheer genius :D I'll be trying that myself....

Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:07 pm

hope it works out for u.
just make sure u plug arund the air hose to stop as much leakage or air as possible,
let us know how u get on

Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:46 pm

Great thinking Rodney . Il be trying that idea ASAP. Let me know how ya get on Hugo. Thanks for the help lads.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:11 am

...... As suggested back in 2013. :D :wink: :D

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:02 am

Oops, it was indeed. Credit where it's due so....

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Had the same thing with a raider 18 cuddy. I drilled the floor just in front of the sump at the back and screwed in a tapered brass tail fitting.
I used a small suction bulb and pipes to drain it. It was fresh water, but boat was on a lake all its life. Capped the tail fitting for future use.
It had about a bucket in it. She has a tiny stress fracture in the gelcoat over a trailer wheel but doubt if it leaks.
Didn't refill so far so not worried but would like to know the outcome with above..

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi all thanks very much for all the help. So far we have tryed the above advise. We covered the boat with soap and water and put in a air hose the pressure we put in was a bit much but no air came out that we could see. We put that much pressure in the floor started to lift. We opened the floor hatchs and resealed them. And in the well of the boat we spotted a bit of damage.to the pump floor. We removed it and refibreglassed it. After that we painted the hole floor again. So I think we solved it but as minoe said its the same as his boat fresh water . So I'll let ya know how it is after the bad weather .