Trawlers Malahide / Portmarnock

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Trawlers Malahide / Portmarnock

Postby Fanad80 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:32 pm

I have seen a couple of small trawlers working the shore line near high rock over the last couple of weeks (approx 200-300 yards out). At first I thought that these may be collecting lobster or crab pots, but after stopping to watch them have noticed that there are no buoys evident in the water as you would expect to mark the location of such pots. The most recent trawler was last thursday afternoon and it appeared to be a significant level of disturbance behind the boat which i would guess would be a net?? Has anybody any idea what these boats are doing and if so, should they be so close to the shore?
Fanad80
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Trawlers Malahide / Portmarnock

Postby daveyboy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Fanad80 wrote:I have seen a couple of small trawlers working the shore line near high rock over the last couple of weeks (approx 200-300 yards out). At first I thought that these may be collecting lobster or crab pots, but after stopping to watch them have noticed that there are no buoys evident in the water as you would expect to mark the location of such pots. The most recent trawler was last thursday afternoon and it appeared to be a significant level of disturbance behind the boat which i would guess would be a net?? Has anybody any idea what these boats are doing and if so, should they be so close to the shore?

Razorclams maybe?
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Atlantic Angler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Could be pair trawling for sprat ,doesn't seem to be any limit on how far in they can trawl or on how much they can catch. :shock: Two trawlers where trawling the Shannon today and went up as far as Money point ,few pics here https://m.facebook.com/ShannonDolphinAndWildlifeCentre/ there must be a large bycatch on this type of "fishing"
Atlantic Angler
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby mickser » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Could be them wexford trawlers cleaning out the mussel beds next time you see them try and get their markings this will tell you where they are from
mickser
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby donal domeney » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby d2FISH » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:43 pm

RAZOR BOATS
d2FISH
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby Fanad80 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:02 pm

thanks - will keep an eye out to see if i can see the markings and will take it from there
Fanad80
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum