After The Storm: beach conditions and fishing reports

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

After The Storm: beach conditions and fishing reports

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:00 pm

The forecast for tomorrow (Tuesday) still gives it to be a bit breezy so maybe it's just not yet ideal to head out fishing, or maybe it will be(?)
Anyway, it would be great to get reports and/or pictures of the state of any of the beaches around the country after the storm, if anyone would be willing to oblige, with a particular interest on what might have been washed up - dead fish, crustaceans, shellfish, weed, etc. As well as report if the fishing is any good/better, of course..

EDIT: having said that, despite the strong winds, the swells don't seem too bad at all on the north coast, so the focus might be on the bottom half of the country

Portrush:
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG (196.47 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Re: After The Storm: beach conditions and fishing reports

Postby corkconian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 am

Inch beach and ballybranigan beach both have mountains of kelp at the moment. A few Portuguese man of wars floating around Ballycotton pier also

For this message the author corkconian has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:55 am)
corkconian
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:04 pm

corkconian wrote:Inch beach and ballybranigan beach both have mountains of kelp at the moment. A few Portuguese man of wars floating around Ballycotton pier also

Did you try any fishing corkconian, with any good results?
Yeah, can only imagine the mountains of seaweed, would have been interesting to so what might be through it all. And would be interesting to fish the area as the tide takes the seaweed back again. Good compost otherwise, lol
Portuguese man of war.. would love to see one. Apparently a dead one laying on the beach would stung too so need to be weary. yeah, not a true jellyfish either of course, they are a whole colony of smaller organisims all joined together..
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby corkconian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Ya fished ballycotten . Only place I could find without weed , few whiting coalies and dogs . Nothing great

For this message the author corkconian has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:18 pm)
corkconian
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby johnwest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Washed up on a beach near Killybegs today; a dead cormorant and a dead otter. On the day Storm Ophelia passed our house, I was surprised to see a group of three swallows flying around, caught up and carried back north? Storm Ophelia? I suffer from stormophobia!
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby chuckaroo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:29 pm

johnwest wrote:Washed up on a beach near Killybegs today; a dead cormorant and a dead otter. On the day Storm Ophelia passed our house, I was surprised to see a group of three swallows flying around, caught up and carried back north? Storm Ophelia? I suffer from stormophobia!

So would otter fur be any good for fly tying? ;) If not, then I'm sure the skull would fetch a few quid on ebay if you were prepared to.. prepare it
Yeah, think some of the weather forecast for this weekend will put Ophelia to shame lol
Might be a few windows in there if you look hard enough too though!
Last edited by chuckaroo on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby ardinn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 am

why would an otter skull be worth anything if ye dont mind me asking?
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Postby chuckaroo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:22 pm

ardinn wrote:why would an otter skull be worth anything if ye dont mind me asking?

I have a friend who would take a dead fox from the side of the road if it had been hit by a car, cut the head off it and leave the maggots to clean it for him. The clean skull usually sells for £20 on ebay if it is clean and got all its teeth. Messy job but pretty straightforward if you are bothered to do it. There are buyers on ebay for skulls and skeletons of some animals..
would condone killing animals for the purpose though
Charlie

2024 targets:

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
corbyeire (Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:19 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby corbyeire » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:21 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
ardinn wrote:why would an otter skull be worth anything if ye dont mind me asking?

I have a friend who would take a dead fox from the side of the road if it had been hit by a car, cut the head off it and leave the maggots to clean it for him. The clean skull usually sells for £20 on ebay if it is clean and got all its teeth. Messy job but pretty straightforward if you are bothered to do it. There are buyers on ebay for skulls and skeletons of some animals..

also you wouldnt want to be caught by the NPWS doing this as an otter is an protected species via annex 2 and 4 of the european habitats directive
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby chuckaroo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:58 am

corbyeire wrote:
chuckaroo wrote:

also you wouldnt want to be caught by the NPWS doing this as an otter is an protected species via annex 2 and 4 of the european habitats directive

Of course. Now I'm wondering if trading in otter fur or skeletons might even be illegal.
Anyway, I'm off to throw the rods into the car!
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby corbyeire » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:21 am

probably isint legal but the craic internet forensic squad of the NPWS that is non-existant, wont find out :)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions