Some Shore Fishing Questions

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Some Shore Fishing Questions

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Hey all, I would first like to introduce myself. My name is AJ, I live in the US state of Minnesota, and I will be taking a vacation to Ireland in two weeks. While on vacation I would like to fish the Galway/Salthill area. I will be mainly focusing on shore fishing, but I will also be fishing Lough Corrib and possibly the River Corrib. I am a multi-species angler and am looking to catch as many species as I can in the few days I will be in the area. From what I tell, the Salthill beach area has some great flatfish fishing, and there may be a possibility of some wrasse and other fish. I don't know too much other than that.
Here are my questions:
1) What baits should I be using for each fish? Do flatfish like mackerel or lugworm better? Stuff like that.
2) What fish do you think will be in the area around this time?
3) Is there anything random that I should know about the Salthill area? Is the place fairly safe to night fish or is night fishing a no-go?
4) What rigs should I be using while beach fishing for different species? From what I've seen the pulley rig is pretty popular
5) Is there anything I should know about the fish over in Ireland? I know of the Weeverfish (Which I would like to catch) but are there any other fish that I should be careful of while handling?
6) Any good baits/tips for fishing freshwater in Ireland or should I be fine with imitation and artificial baits? (I know this is a sea fishing forum but I figured I'd ask)

I hope I am not too much of a bother, and I'm still doing my research and looking for techniques that might benefit me while I am over in Ireland. I figured asking the locals would be the best way to ask since videos, articles and charts can only take you so far. Thanks all!
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Some Shore Fishing Questions

Postby daveyboy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:48 pm

How's it going. I don't know the sea fishing in that area at all. I'm sure some others on the forum will be able to help you out but for freshwater fishing, just so you know the trout season is finished now so it would pike fishing or maybe course fishing. Id recomend getting onto a good guide to take you out on Lough Corrib after pike maybe. Might be the best use of your time once the weather is suitable for getting out on a boat on the lake. It'll cost you a few quid but save you messing around. Maybe try the angling section of Boards.ie for some more info on freshwater fishing.
Like I say I don't know what the fishing is like in Salthill or what the best baits are for flatfish but in general when fishing for flatfish in Ireland you would be fishing over clean ground (sand/mud) so I'd imagine it's the same there. Get yourself a 2 hook flapper rigs with smallish hooks (size 4 to size 2 maybe) in a local tackle shop in Galway. Pulley rig is more a rig for rough ground. Can't think of any fish you'd need to be carefull handling. If you catch dogfish it's best to grab their tail and fold them holding their head and tail in one hand and unhook using the other hand. Otherwise they wrap their tails around your hand/arm and they have very abrasive skin. Bass are very spikey. Not sure how likley you are to enconter them in Salthill to be honest but again, others on here may know.

For this message the author daveyboy has received thanks:
MinnesotaAngler10 (Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:36 pm)
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Roryk11 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:54 am

As said above also if you want flatfish black lug mackerel and maddies are good baits with 3 hook flappers keep the rod tip low if weather allows don't know much about the area unfortunately

For this message the author Roryk11 has received thanks:
MinnesotaAngler10 (Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:36 pm)
Roryk11
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby kieran » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:02 am

AJ

The good news is that this time of year is peak season for salt water fishing.

The Salthill area is pretty limited in terms of sea angling, being quite shallow. Mack and lugworm are good standard baits. If you are fishing in daylight, use ragworm if you can get it. It's not cheap but it is worth it especially on rock marks (including harbour walls) where you might pick up some highly coloured wrasse (several species).

Fishing is normally safe, as there is public lighting and often dog walkers and such like around Salthill, so I would not be unduly concerned on that score.

The comment on the 3 hook flapper is spot on. If you want to go for distance, a pulley rig is good.

Truth be told, the entire Galway coast all the way out to Connemara is shallow, and certainly not that different until you get past Spiddal.

Main species you are likely to encounter in daylight are dogfish, flounder, pollack and if you are lucky, a sea trout.

In darkness on a coming tide you may get more species including coalfish, whiting, other flatfish and smaller species like poor cod and pouting.

Distance casting in the summer can locate thornback rays, not sure if they are still around, but likely to be... not heard of other rays being caught there.

Wrasse have very sharp spines in their dorsal fins in particular and serious teeth. Not piranhas but not pleasant.
Whiting have very small but exceptionally sharp teeth. They often graze your fingers and you are not aware of it until much later...
Conger eels have 9 rows of backward pointing teeth, not usually associated with bites given they squirm so much, but would not give them a chance!
If by chance you should catch a triggerfish - unlikely - they have exceptionally sharp teeth and spurs near their tails.
Dogfish have exceptionally abrasive skin and will try to rub against your hands - hold their tail against their head when unhooking them and that's sorted.

The occasional bass has been caught off the beaches west of Galway city, and there are (or at least were) very large shoals of big mullet in the harbour itself.
Bass have sharp gills covers and sharp spines in their fins. You should be so lucky...

If you search using the location, you will see what others have caught in their reports.
If you have access to a car, Connemara and north Clare offer different options.

Hope this helps...

Last but not least, we are heading into big tides, 4 metres +, so pay careful attention to where you are standing especially on any of the western beaches. Tight lines.

For this message the author kieran has received thanks: 2
ardinn (Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:25 pm), MinnesotaAngler10 (Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:35 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby corbyeire » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:01 pm

hi minnesota - check out this link - http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shor ... ay%203.htm
the flatfish are around the beach in Silverstrand - good on a rising tide into darkness dont bother with rag - unless you order them in - none of the shops sell them
unless you like digging for tiny lug - buy packs of frozen lug worm - wraps - in the aquarium in salthill - other bait they sell - also frozen mac and sandeel
the wraps and mackeral frozen or fresh (if u can get it) will cover you around silverstrand for flatties and on the pier in spidal - the beach in salthill is very limited and fun can be had in the rocks for minis there - but its getting a bit late for that
the pier in sppidal should still throw up a few species

the pier is comfortable at night and protects you from the predominant SW winds AND rain this time of year

outside of this for any other types of sea fishing you are out to connemara - round clifden or down to clare for other species

tight lines
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:22 pm

daveyboy wrote:How's it going. I don't know the sea fishing in that area at all. I'm sure some others on the forum will be able to help you out but for freshwater fishing, just so you know the trout season is finished now so it would pike fishing or maybe course fishing. Id recomend getting onto a good guide to take you out on Lough Corrib after pike maybe. Might be the best use of your time once the weather is suitable for getting out on a boat on the lake. It'll cost you a few quid but save you messing around. Maybe try the angling section of Boards.ie for some more info on freshwater fishing.
Like I say I don't know what the fishing is like in Salthill or what the best baits are for flatfish but in general when fishing for flatfish in Ireland you would be fishing over clean ground (sand/mud) so I'd imagine it's the same there. Get yourself a 2 hook flapper rigs with smallish hooks (size 4 to size 2 maybe) in a local tackle shop in Galway. Pulley rig is more a rig for rough ground. Can't think of any fish you'd need to be carefull handling. If you catch dogfish it's best to grab their tail and fold them holding their head and tail in one hand and unhook using the other hand. Otherwise they wrap their tails around your hand/arm and they have very abrasive skin. Bass are very spikey. Not sure how likley you are to enconter them in Salthill to be honest but again, others on here may know.

Thanks for the freshwater info, do you think imitation baits like Gulp! would work well while fishing for coarse fish? I've fished for pike before (We have the same species in Minnesota that you have in Ireland), and me and my father are going out on Corrib with a guide for them. It is good to know that we have made the right choice. Thank you for your suggestion on the two hook flapper rig, and for the info on the dogfishes skin and the pulley rig!!
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Roryk11 wrote:As said above also if you want flatfish black lug mackerel and maddies are good baits with 3 hook flappers keep the rod tip low if weather allows don't know much about the area unfortunately

Thank you for the bait tips and the suggestion to use the 3 hook flapper rig! Are maddies a species of crab or a type of worm?
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Postby corbyeire » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:26 pm

maddies are a harbour rag, not very common in galway - good bait but hard to get - again you would have to order it in from the south somewhere - to be honest lug and mack will do
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:35 pm

kieran wrote:AJ

The good news is that this time of year is peak season for salt water fishing.

The Salthill area is pretty limited in terms of sea angling, being quite shallow. Mack and lugworm are good standard baits. If you are fishing in daylight, use ragworm if you can get it. It's not cheap but it is worth it especially on rock marks (including harbour walls) where you might pick up some highly coloured wrasse (several species).

Fishing is normally safe, as there is public lighting and often dog walkers and such like around Salthill, so I would not be unduly concerned on that score.

The comment on the 3 hook flapper is spot on. If you want to go for distance, a pulley rig is good.

Truth be told, the entire Galway coast all the way out to Connemara is shallow, and certainly not that different until you get past Spiddal.

Main species you are likely to encounter in daylight are dogfish, flounder, pollack and if you are lucky, a sea trout.

In darkness on a coming tide you may get more species including coalfish, whiting, other flatfish and smaller species like poor cod and pouting.

Distance casting in the summer can locate thornback rays, not sure if they are still around, but likely to be... not heard of other rays being caught there.

Wrasse have very sharp spines in their dorsal fins in particular and serious teeth. Not piranhas but not pleasant.
Whiting have very small but exceptionally sharp teeth. They often graze your fingers and you are not aware of it until much later...
Conger eels have 9 rows of backward pointing teeth, not usually associated with bites given they squirm so much, but would not give them a chance!
If by chance you should catch a triggerfish - unlikely - they have exceptionally sharp teeth and spurs near their tails.
Dogfish have exceptionally abrasive skin and will try to rub against your hands - hold their tail against their head when unhooking them and that's sorted.

The occasional bass has been caught off the beaches west of Galway city, and there are (or at least were) very large shoals of big mullet in the harbour itself.
Bass have sharp gills covers and sharp spines in their fins. You should be so lucky...

If you search using the location, you will see what others have caught in their reports.
If you have access to a car, Connemara and north Clare offer different options.

Hope this helps...

Last but not least, we are heading into big tides, 4 metres +, so pay careful attention to where you are standing especially on any of the western beaches. Tight lines.

Thank you for the bait suggestions, especially about the Wrasse species. Good to know the area is really shallow, would you suggest fishing high to low tide or low to high tide? I am relieved to know I'll have a chance at a dogfish, since I've never caught any species closely related to it. Another thank you for the tips on handling. As for the mullet, what would you suggest I use for them? The mullet I'm familiar with don't take baits so it is interesting to know that the Irish ones do... Is the Spidal area and beyond more rocky or deeper compared to the Salthill/Galway Area? Could I expect some different species fishing that area? Also good to know about the tides! Sorry for all the other questions, Thanks again!
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:46 pm

corbyeire wrote:hi minnesota - check out this link - http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shor ... ay%203.htm
the flatfish are around the beach in Silverstrand - good on a rising tide into darkness dont bother with rag - unless you order them in - none of the shops sell them
unless you like digging for tiny lug - buy packs of frozen lug worm - wraps - in the aquarium in salthill - other bait they sell - also frozen mac and sandeel
the wraps and mackeral frozen or fresh (if u can get it) will cover you around silverstrand for flatties and on the pier in spidal - the beach in salthill is very limited and fun can be had in the rocks for minis there - but its getting a bit late for that
the pier in sppidal should still throw up a few species

the pier is comfortable at night and protects you from the predominant SW winds AND rain this time of year

outside of this for any other types of sea fishing you are out to connemara - round clifden or down to clare for other species

tight lines

The site you linked me to was a huge help, thank you! Good to know the aquarium has a good variety of baits. These "mini's" you are talking about in the Salthill rocks, are you talking about smaller species like coalfish or species such as scorpionfish, gobies, and blennies? thank you for all the info on the Spiddal pier, I will have to check it out.
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:46 pm

corbyeire wrote:maddies are a harbour rag, not very common in galway - good bait but hard to get - again you would have to order it in from the south somewhere - to be honest lug and mack will do

oh, okay. Thank you!
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Postby daveyboy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:11 pm

MinnesotaAngler10 wrote:
daveyboy wrote:How's it going. I don't know the sea fishing in that area at all. I'm sure some others on the forum will be able to help you out but for freshwater fishing, just so you know the trout season is finished now so it would pike fishing or maybe course fishing. Id recomend getting onto a good guide to take you out on Lough Corrib after pike maybe. Might be the best use of your time once the weather is suitable for getting out on a boat on the lake. It'll cost you a few quid but save you messing around. Maybe try the angling section of Boards.ie for some more info on freshwater fishing.

Thanks for the freshwater info, do you think imitation baits like Gulp! would work well while fishing for coarse fish? I've fished for pike before (We have the same species in Minnesota that you have in Ireland), and me and my father are going out on Corrib with a guide for them. It is good to know that we have made the right choice. Thank you for your suggestion on the two hook flapper rig, and for the info on the dogfishes skin and the pulley rig!!

Good stuff. Enjoy Corrib. It's a beautifull lake to fish. got to be honest haven't got a clue about coarse fishing. the angling section of the boards.ie forum would be a good place to ask though
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby kieran » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Mullet are hard to catch here too - but they will take bread and I've caught them on lugworm when seeking other species, without targeting them I hasten to add. Keep the hooks small and use light snoods. They can be very suspicious. Most people float fish for them using light gear.

I don't think you will have too much difficulty in catching the dogfish - they prefer slack water periods at either HW or LW but are pretty much your constant companions! Any nice biat that offers a scent trail will bring them in. Their bigger brother, the bull huss, or greater spotted dogfish, might show up. Anything that looks like a small shark but weighs over 3 lbs is probably a huss. You tend to do better with them at night or into darkness. Again they prefer relatively calm conditions.

The further west you go from Galway, especially after Spiddal the more varied the coastline becomes. You have massive and complex inlets and bays around Casla but you can also access deep water marks. There's some interesting marks such as beaches made entirely of smashed local coral, which are not very productive but look nice. The deeper water marks will give you access to mackerel as well as an opportunity for other species like scad (horse mackerel), garfish and some other summer migrants.

A few years ago, a visiting US scientist caught several species that belong in the Caribbean by casting baits towards a lump of floating Sargasso seaweed so you never know... and triggerfish have become far more common in recent years.

If you are looking for mini species, the one to catch is the connemara clingfish - good luck with that - since this is pretty much they only place they live. They have modified fins that they use to create a partial vacuum that allows them cling to rocks in strong tidal surges. I think someone here posted a picture...

Anyhow tight lines, post a report or two to let us know how you get on. Heading out on Sunday myself, after a long lay off. Tight lines
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby corbyeire » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:22 pm

Minnesota, just remember those reports in that site link are over 10 years old and may not be the case on the ground
the minis are as you say blennies, scorpions etc.
there are plenty of mini whitefish with the change to winter - coalies, pouting, poor cod and some rockling too
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:06 pm

kieran wrote:Mullet are hard to catch here too - but they will take bread and I've caught them on lugworm when seeking other species, without targeting them I hasten to add. Keep the hooks small and use light snoods. They can be very suspicious. Most people float fish for them using light gear.

I don't think you will have too much difficulty in catching the dogfish - they prefer slack water periods at either HW or LW but are pretty much your constant companions! Any nice biat that offers a scent trail will bring them in. Their bigger brother, the bull huss, or greater spotted dogfish, might show up. Anything that looks like a small shark but weighs over 3 lbs is probably a huss. You tend to do better with them at night or into darkness. Again they prefer relatively calm conditions.

The further west you go from Galway, especially after Spiddal the more varied the coastline becomes. You have massive and complex inlets and bays around Casla but you can also access deep water marks. There's some interesting marks such as beaches made entirely of smashed local coral, which are not very productive but look nice. The deeper water marks will give you access to mackerel as well as an opportunity for other species like scad (horse mackerel), garfish and some other summer migrants.

A few years ago, a visiting US scientist caught several species that belong in the Caribbean by casting baits towards a lump of floating Sargasso seaweed so you never know... and triggerfish have become far more common in recent years.

If you are looking for mini species, the one to catch is the connemara clingfish - good luck with that - since this is pretty much they only place they live. They have modified fins that they use to create a partial vacuum that allows them cling to rocks in strong tidal surges. I think someone here posted a picture...

Anyhow tight lines, post a report or two to let us know how you get on. Heading out on Sunday myself, after a long lay off. Tight lines

I'll have to try the bread bait if I see any. Good to know I shouldn't have too much trouble catching a dogfish, and a huss would be great. Sadly I don't think I'll be leaving the Salthill/Galway area to fish some of the deep water marks, not enough time. It's interesting to hear that some Caribbean species end up in Ireland, I'll definitely throw a bait or two at one of those floating Sargasso seaweed beds. I've been looking into the Connemara Clingfish, and I'll be doing a search on the forum for this species. From what little I've found on them the are a true micro... and definitely on the list now. It's quite an interesting fish. I'll be sure to post some reports here on the forum once I get back to the states! Good luck this Sunday!
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 pm

corbyeire wrote:Minnesota, just remember those reports in that site link are over 10 years old and may not be the case on the ground
the minis are as you say blennies, scorpions etc.
there are plenty of mini whitefish with the change to winter - coalies, pouting, poor cod and some rockling too

Yep, keeping that in mind. Cool to hear that I can expect some micro life in and around the rocks, and hopefully I can get a few species out of it! While fishing for whitefishes on the beach in Florida I've used whats called a sabiki rig. I'm not sure if you guys have them in Ireland but I'm thinking I will try to fish them the same way as I do in the states - throw it out as far as possible and slowly reel the rig back to shore, jigging it every once and awhile to help attract fish and clear it of rocks. Thank you for your help!
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Postby kieran » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:22 am

sabiki work here too, but they can attract mackerel in shoals!
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby eoghanb » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 am

Plenty of good rock fishing in deep water probably within an hours drive from Galway ,just look at Google Earth for a likely spot ,or there is the Galway canals with plenty of fish in them without leaving the city.or for a real adventure you could take a ferry or a short flight to arranmore island lots of fishing and some great history
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Report of my first day in Ireland - Fished the outlet of where the corrib and bay meet. Using a sabiki I was able to catch what I have decided is a micro sized tub gurnard. Weirdly enough I don't think they are common from shore nor from a sabiki rig. Fished there for maybe only 10-15 minutes until I had to go. I also tried my luck on one of the rivers that flows off the corrib when in Galway. Attempted to catch a Perch with no luck. Lots of trout in the smaller river. Today was mostly a getting to know Galway kinda day, heading to Lough Corrib to do some pike fishing and hopefully try to find me a Perch and more. Looks like I may be going to Spiddal now, I'll have to do some last minute research and re-read some of the replies on this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Postby MinnesotaAngler10 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 pm

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... 6cc401.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... 4325f5.jpg some photos of my Gurnard. Now that I think of it I also saw a school of sand eels in the current, tried to catch them with the sabiki but they weren't having any of it. I may have to go back with an even smaller hook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For this message the author MinnesotaAngler10 has received thanks:
corbyeire (Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:13 pm)
MinnesotaAngler10
SAI Lug Worm

Next

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum