Paddys Point Bass Fishing

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Paddys Point Bass Fishing

Postby Paddyschoice » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:08 am

Still fishing to find my first bass- might as well say from the start I didn't get any!

Date - 25 Sep 17
Location- Paddy's point
Bait- Peeler, mackerel, sandeel (used mostly peeler, topped with a small bit of sandeel)
Weather-overcast and warm
High tide ~2130 (fished from 1830 to 2330)

Bit of a disaster really, no fish, only had one bite which was a strong bite alright as there was a good nod on the rod to be fair. However, when I struck into it (heart was well beating as I was thinking I was into my first bass) and what happens...but my shock leader knot came undone--- B*****D OF A THING! I know it was the connecting knot as the mainline was sort of swirled where my obviously incorrect knot was tied.

A few leanings for me really from the night;
-I noticed it took a good pull of the beachcaster to release my grip lead from the sea bed, so next time I'll try to loosen the wire on the lead.
-A few anglers were spinning for bass and I was told peeler crab was the only bait to be using in the harbour
-I better learn a new shockleader knot that works, or learn how to constantly tie it properly!

Any advice in helping me land the first bass would be greatly appreciated!
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Re: Paddys Point Bass Fishing

Postby donal domeney » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:08 am

try the car park before you turn towards the island.

I'm heading to Garryvoe tonight I'll let you know
PM me your number
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
Paddyschoice (Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:24 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Paddyschoice » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:20 pm

I know the car park alright, JI'll give it a try the next day I'm down that direction! Same methods again - peeler for bait and 1 rod close in and 1 rod a good distance out?
Ah happy days- I'll send it on there now Donal- thanks a million!
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Postby lucky13 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 pm

another few bits of info for you on paddys point...good luck pm sent.

For this message the author lucky13 has received thanks:
Paddyschoice (Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:35 pm)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Postby eoghanb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:51 am

Used to fish that area about 15yrs ago,was a great spot used to get at least 3 decent bass most times I went out,biggest one I got was 11lb ,but alas as most good fishing spots it got raped when people stopped returning fish ,I got 10 one evening on a fly rod between 4 and 6lb. There was also some good seatrout .keep at it the area is good if the fish get a chance

For this message the author eoghanb has received thanks:
Paddyschoice (Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:35 pm)
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Postby Paddyschoice » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks for all the messages folks! Ye're a sound bunch on this forum alright!

I'm delighted to say I go my first bass the last evening from a beach there in East cork, made my day!
High water was around 2200 I think, caught him in pure darkness around nine or half nine I'm guessing, on a half a peeler pulley rig.
Unfortunately now, all that's on my mind is to get another!!! What a fish to catch alright! Some fight off of them!
I didn't have my waders, but wasn't getting the distance I wanted, so said f**k it I better toughen up, ended up wading out to get the distance. Twas getting cold alright toward the end of the session, but sure when you're out -you're out! Might as well go at it!

Cheers for the advice regarding the fishing in Paddys point, when I'm heading there again I'll put up a post here if anyone wants to join not a bother! Seems like a lot of people fish there judging by the advice I was given here!

Below is the photo of my first bass- and a happy camper holding onto him!!

first bass.jpg

Cheers folks
Eoin

For this message the author Paddyschoice has received thanks: 4
Clive O Driscoll (Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 pm), donal domeney (Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:48 pm), lucky13 (Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:08 pm), mickser (Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:06 pm)
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Rob Millard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:26 pm

U don't normally need distance when shore fishing for bass. They're often right in front of you. We'll done
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Paddyschoice wrote:I know the car park alright, JI'll give it a try the next day I'm down that direction! Same methods again - peeler for bait and 1 rod close in and 1 rod a good distance out?
Ah happy days- I'll send it on there now Donal- thanks a million!

I fished that carpark for the first time only a few weeks ago, I had gotten some BIG Rag from Dan at Halfway, went down on the last hour of a full tide, first cast, up on the Tripod and off i went to my car to grab the rest of my gear ( BIG MISTAKE ) came back and the older man came running at me shouting " Your Rod," I was like yup, not to worry... Came down to the beach and my Tripod was nearly in the Water, and my 15'9" Beachcaster was being taken out, quiet rapidly........... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I didn't know what the **** was going on, so quickly took off my runners ( another mistake ) and ran into the water, the Multi was my Brother's and the Rod was brand New, I was up to my waist in water when i finally lunged for it and got the rod, I lifted into it, and it just felt like something turned...

I was using brand new Suffix 24lb mainline, with 70lb shock leader, 7oz grip, pulley pennel rig, all gone, Morris said it was a Double figure Bass. I saw no sign of a seal ( I believe there are a few, and have seen 1 the 2 weeks later ) no sign of a dolphin, I don't know.

I Fished it again, just under the Powerlines and had not a single pull.

Just my 2 cents, hope you get your Bass
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby donal domeney » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Thornback ray and the odd huss patrol them waters
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney

Postby donal domeney » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Paddyschoice wrote:I'm delighted to say I go my first bass the last evening from a beach there in East cork, made my day!
High water was around 2200 I think, caught him in pure darkness around nine or half nine I'm guessing, on a half a peeler pulley rig.
Unfortunately now, all that's on my mind is to get another!!! What a fish to catch alright! Some fight off of them!
I didn't have my waders, but wasn't getting the distance I wanted, so said f**k it I better toughen up, ended up wading out to get the distance. Twas getting cold alright toward the end of the session, but sure when you're out -you're out! Might as well go at it!

Cheers folks
Eoin

First bass and you wet your trousers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now when people ask you about bass angling you can use my quote "I don't fish for bass I just catch them when I'm fishing."
donal domeney

Postby lucky13 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:12 pm

[quote="Paddyschoice"]Thanks for all the messages folks! Ye're a sound bunch on this forum alright!

I'm delighted to say I go my first bass the last evening from a beach there in East cork, made my day!

Cheers for the advice regarding the fishing in Paddys point, when I'm heading there again I'll put up a post here if anyone wants to join not a bother! Seems like a lot of people fish there judging by the advice I was given here!

Below is the photo of my first bass- and a happy camper holding onto him!!

first bass.jpg

Cheers folks
Eoin[/quote

Well done lad! Delighted for ya bud :wink:

For this message the author lucky13 has received thanks:
Paddyschoice (Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 pm)
lucky13
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 184 times

Postby mickser » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:25 pm

Good knot for shockleader to main = / www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCH8z3zOZvY
mickser
I have not fished in two years hoping to change that this year with anything ?

For this message the author mickser has received thanks:
Paddyschoice (Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:07 am)
mickser
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 175 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Paddyschoice » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:23 am

Morning folks
I'm going to head fishing around the Paddy's Point direction over the next few evenings if anyone is about. Give me a PM if yer heading down that direction to wet the lines- the more the merrier sure!

Cheers
Eoin
Paddyschoice
SAI Lug Worm

Postby lucaslt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi, did you finally catch any bass at paddy’s point ? I live in carrigaline so it’s pretty much the closest bass mark for me. Tried to fish it a few times (lures, peeler) but nothing, I don’t know what’s the best between HW and LW ?
God bless
lucaslt
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum