YOUGHAL BEACH

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

YOUGHAL BEACH

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Heading down Friday morning around 10. I've read that just about everywhere on the Beach is Fishable?
Im meeting up and getting Crab down there and will have Fresh Lug with me too, maybe a box of squid, if anyone knows of a nice spot or is available for a cast for a few hours, then it would be good.

Cheers
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Re: YOUGHAL BEACH

Postby ste c » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Crab an lug for the codling an crab or sandeels for the ray off it good beach but make sure winds are good it can be a horrid place to fish with big winds

For this message the author ste c has received thanks:
Clive O Driscoll (Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:12 pm)
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby donal domeney » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Lug and crab will be fine a pack of sand eels would not go astray either. never bothered with squid
fish the small car park a Claycastle or down to the right of the boulders
this is generally as night venue but it would be worth getting down with a bit of daylight just to check out the weed
the tide will fill from right to left so a clean spot one minute can often see weed appear as the tide floods
youghal beach.jpg
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
Clive O Driscoll (Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:48 am)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:49 am

donal domeney wrote:Lug and crab will be fine a pack of sand eels would not go astray either. never bothered with squid
fish the small car park a Claycastle or down to the right of the boulders
this is generally as night venue but it would be worth getting down with a bit of daylight just to check out the weed
the tide will fill from right to left so a clean spot one minute can often see weed appear as the tide floods
youghal beach.jpg

Sound lads, appreciate it
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby eddyfletch » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:51 pm

we had a comp down there last week two ray caught, one bass and all the rest was dogfish (think total dog fish was over 40) bar i took in a 95cm huss oh and one pin whiting

Species 2017 Shore caught Dog Fish Codling Flounder Strap Conger 3 bearded rocky Conger Dab Scorpion fish (22cm) Pollack Thornback Ray Tub Gurnard Sea Bass Smoothhound coalie

For this message the author eddyfletch has received thanks:
Clive O Driscoll (Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:33 pm)
eddyfletch
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:02 pm

eddyfletch wrote:we had a comp down there last week two ray caught, one bass and all the rest was dogfish (think total dog fish was over 40) bar i took in a 95cm huss oh and one pin whiting

Is is a few hours before full tide and after? Had Dogfish off Monkstown the other week, they beat the boredom anyway. Nice to hear of a Bass being caught there at yer Comp. Nice 1
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby eddyfletch » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:19 pm

we had fished two hours dropping and i think 4 hours up. the bass was only a small schoolie.

we where getting a bite every cast from dogfish even just with crab out there ,
Species 2017 Shore caught Dog Fish Codling Flounder Strap Conger 3 bearded rocky Conger Dab Scorpion fish (22cm) Pollack Thornback Ray Tub Gurnard Sea Bass Smoothhound coalie

For this message the author eddyfletch has received thanks:
Clive O Driscoll (Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:45 pm)
eddyfletch
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Re: ARE THE COD IN YOUGHAL/MONKSTOWN YET

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Thinking maybe Youghal might not be good after all as I'm way too early for Cod, but I was mainly hoping for a Bass. Still I got to collect my crab so might hit the Carpets
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Well, after reading a fair few reports and especially when Donal mentioned Fishing Youghal beach at Day isn't a good idea, i just got my crab sorted for collection tomorrow, think maybe Garrestown Beach, I can't stay out all night but might be worth a good few hours,

Thanks all for yer advise and Maps etc.
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby big fish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:16 am

Clive O Driscoll wrote:Heading down Friday morning around 10. I've read that just about everywhere on the Beach is Fishable?
Im meeting up and getting Crab down there and will have Fresh Lug with me too, maybe a box of squid, if anyone knows of a nice spot or is available for a cast for a few hours, then it would be good.

Cheers
BAND STAND IN THE TOWN OR IF YOU CAN GET INTO THE BACK OF YHE CARPET FACTORY or youghal beach its self let me know how you get on clive

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
big fish
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Eoghan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 am

Never fished it but that freeypoint has to be worth a go on the drop/rise with a SP bounced along. Also the point opposite Green Park.
At low water if it coincided with dawn i'd be all over the opposite side to Youghal beach.

I have found that some of the very big fish enter these estuaries very early in the rise.
Top 3 lure caught bass 2017 :
10Ib 5 oz
9Ib 2oz
8Ib 11oz
Eoghan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 254 times

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Eoghan wrote:Never fished it but that freeypoint has to be worth a go on the drop/rise with a SP bounced along. Also the point opposite Green Park.
At low water if it coincided with dawn i'd be all over the opposite side to Youghal beach.

I have found that some of the very big fish enter these estuaries very early in the rise.

I just got back from collecting my Crab just there, and I saw the Carpets ( Local mentioned exactly where ) no getting past that gate :(
So I decided as i was down there, to find Ferrypoint, I will be hitting that tomorrow. Its rough as **** atm and the colour is fairly bad, but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

I will be down around 11 and will fish a few hours on the coming tide, and then till I run out of bait.
It looks a solid spot alright, hopefully a 7oz will keep me somewhere in the zone, but my 7oz'z where getting thrown around like a rag doll last time out at Monkstown, but sure.

I looked at the water directly across from the Bar, carpets to the right, so ill be concentrating on that, could be interesting.
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:00 pm

big fish wrote:
Clive O Driscoll wrote:Heading down Friday morning around 10. I've read that just about everywhere on the Beach is Fishable?

Cheers
BAND STAND IN THE TOWN OR IF YOU CAN GET INTO THE BACK OF YHE CARPET FACTORY or youghal beach its self let me know how you get on clive

Hi mate, I will of course let you know, I'm heading to Ferrypoint
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby big fish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Clive O Driscoll wrote:
big fish wrote:

Cheers

Hi mate, I will of course let you know, I'm heading to Ferrypoint
Good luck tight lines fish straight out looking at youghal if you go to the left very dirty and a muscle bed

For this message the author big fish has received thanks:
Clive O Driscoll (Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:32 pm)
big fish
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby donal domeney » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 pm

On the bigger tides if no one else is at the point fish the right hand corner (flooding tide). When the tide starts to run go to the left hand corner and cast up into the tide, aim for the old school. Walk back to you rod stand and leave the line run off the spool at the same time. The bait will travel down with the tide giving you more time in the channel.

Good southerly blow out there right now that will push a lot of weed into the river. Don't take your eye off your rod there are no huss or thornies there but the weed will take it. Slacken the clutch, tying a bag of stones off the top of the tripod will help to keep it from topping over.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:49 pm

donal domeney wrote:On the bigger tides if no one else is at the point fish the right hand corner (flooding tide). When the tide starts to run go to the left hand corner and cast up into the tide, aim for the old school. Walk back to you rod stand and leave the line run off the spool at the same time. The bait will travel down with the tide giving you more time in the channel.

Good southerly blow out there right now that will push a lot of weed into the river. Don't take your eye off your rod there are no huss or thornies there but the weed will take it. Slacken the clutch, tying a bag of stones off the top of the tripod will help to keep it from topping over.

Sound advise there for sure, Thanks..

The look on me Mam's face when i said i had to take 1 of her Good shopping bags for the stones/gravel. Priceless..
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum