Best retrieve for sea trout?

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Best retrieve for sea trout?

Postby venbugtrap » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Lately I was doing a spot of estuary fishing, and while I didn't go after them for a particularly long time, I could see the sea trout jumping around. I tried using a couple small spoons and spinners for them, either reeling in slowly and steadily or using the sink-and-draw method. There were no bites, although I could clearly see the fish there. Was there something wrong with my retrieve? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
venbugtrap
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Best retrieve for sea trout?

Postby gearoid mc s. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Mepps are killer for them in rivers should do the job in smaller estuaries with good visibilty. I have had good success on bottom fished sandeel, be mindful there may be regulations on catching them depending on river.

For this message the author gearoid mc s. has received thanks:
venbugtrap (Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:34 pm)
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 pm

I only seen to get them on a fast retrieve when fishing for bass in estuaries, same when fly fishing for bass too, fast retrieving seems to get them all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]

For this message the author stevecrow74 has received thanks:
venbugtrap (Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:34 pm)
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby chuckaroo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Don't think that you were doing anything wrong, a 'good' (not too slow) steady retrieve is what I'd recommend.
Sea trout in my experience are easier caught in moving water, either in a river or a draining/flooding estuary, but can be very difficult to catch in open slower water. I don't know if the water was moving when you were trying for them?
I have been surrounded by sea trout before and not one of them interested in taking my little silver spinner, a spinner that has proven deadly in the past. I have seen sea trout coming right up close and eye-balling it and simply refusing it; but then again, on the other hand, I have seen sea trout being more aggressive and in 'feeding mode', when can be easier caught.
They are one of the most FICKLE species of fish to catch.
My two cents
Good luck! :)
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
venbugtrap (Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:33 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby venbugtrap » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks for all your responses guys. A Mepps spinner is actually one of the ones I used, although I suppose the water was a little slack. It seems to mostly be an issue of putting in the time and reaping the reward. Thanks again!
venbugtrap
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby zeke » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:08 pm

chuckaroo wrote:Don't think that you were doing anything wrong, a 'good' (not too slow) steady retrieve is what I'd recommend.
Sea trout in my experience are easier caught in moving water, either in a river or a draining/flooding estuary, but can be very difficult to catch in open slower water. I don't know if the water was moving when you were trying for them?
I have been surrounded by sea trout before and not one of them interested in taking my little silver spinner, a spinner that has proven deadly in the past. I have seen sea trout coming right up close and eye-balling it and simply refusing it; but then again, on the other hand, I have seen sea trout being more aggressive and in 'feeding mode', when can be easier caught.
They are one of the most FICKLE species of fish to catch.
My two cents
Good luck! :)

+1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
tight lines,
zeke

2013 species:
seatrout,plaice,dogfight,wrasse,Pollack,thornback ray,spotted ray,red gurnard,tompot blenny,sandeel,herring,mackerel....
zeke
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby guts » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 am

ha ha bla bla bla for me slow retrive some times stoping retrive and start again with silver lure small toby , better again toby rocket ,better again deadly dick lure 12 g half way angling , again any small sliver lure nice and slow with a pause lol just my view
guts
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 40 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum