losing for want of winning...

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Postby kieran » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Sometimes I feel like the Mayo Football team...

Landed in the Costa Brava to 38 C and it stayed above 33 C the whole time, could not move for want of water, never got to go fishing, would have been pointless. 8)
Landed home to 11 C and a sea fog mist thick as our arm in Mayo, spent 3 hours driving around looking for a sheltered mark, all the way to Achill and back before surrendering and having the jumbo fresh cod and chips from the Blue Dolphin in Newport on the Sunday night (fair compensation best cod and chips in Ireland)... :roll:

If I don't get fishing in the next week, I think I'll go mad! :shock:

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:31 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Teegerstk » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Just home from 12 days in Lanzarote...very hot just like your place. Got out a few times and caught a few tiddlers, but I got badly sunburnt when fishing!
Got tired of the small fish eventually, I get enough of them back in Ireland anyway!
The marks I was at were in the vicinity of the big port where the boats come in from the other islands...so every 30 minutes massive swells came in and drenched me multiple times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Teegerstk on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab

For this message the author Teegerstk has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:31 pm), kieran (Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:30 pm)
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: losing for want of winning...

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:45 pm

spent damn near 12 hours on a boat on a lake yesterday searching for rising brown trout, all in earnest - i had a buddy with me who was new to the place and who i was trying to get a fish for. then the engine broke down on the way home - which we managed to get it going, in the dark, eventually. yeah, we blanked. i feel your pain(s) :roll:
plus side .. will be heading on holiday in 2 weeks time, if the fish aren't biting there then there'll be an inquisition.. :lol:
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks: 3
corbyeire (Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:16 pm), kieran (Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:30 pm), Teegerstk (Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:23 pm)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby keith » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:29 am

kieran wrote:Sometimes I feel like the Mayo Football team...

Landed in the Costa Brava to 38 C and it stayed above 33 C the whole time, could not move for want of water, never got to go fishing, would have been pointless. 8)
Landed home to 11 C and a sea fog mist thick as our arm in Mayo, spent 3 hours driving around looking for a sheltered mark, all the way to Achill and back before surrendering and having the jumbo fresh cod and chips from the Blue Dolphin in Newport on the Sunday night (fair compensation best cod and chips in Ireland)... :roll:

If I don't get fishing in the next week, I think I'll go mad! :shock:

Should have fished early mornings and evenings!! one of the best stretches of coast for shore fishing and the rivers there are stuffed with carp
keith
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 107 times

Postby kieran » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:52 am

Yeah...

There was no water in the Ter, and I mean no water! Plenty of mozzies mind! :evil:

Not a fresh water person anyhow but even at 10 at night, it was 29C and the rocks were radiating heat! I stupidly sat down on rocks near the harbour and had to bounce up again pretty quick!! By midnight it was still only 27 C and you have the added hassle of finding our ways over the tracks.
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby kieran » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:43 pm

eventually went on Sunday 9th into mist and drizzle and a strong than forecast moderate westerly.... fished DuGort to get out of the wind and found tons of loose weed,de parted after a small flounder to Eanna and ended up back on An Corraun, where in similar shite conditions in a calm sea we took in a mackerel to feathers, two small Pollack and a few doggies to baits. I am now done with frozen mack as bait, it's shite. Sandeel, squid and prawn will get my vote, but beyond that its catch or dig it...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Postby corbyeire » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:24 pm

i always find in the summer months that the bait quality needs to go up compared to the rancid stuff youd get away with in winter
the bloody fish have too many options - and fresh fish
so you need fresh mac or perfect sandeels to connect
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby Teegerstk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 pm

I find that too...

Last summer my catch rate was low on frozen stuff, even mackerel/sandeel straight from the tackle shop freezers, meanwhile fresh lug, crab and rag were baits that caught most of my fish, with dogfish preferring blowlug to mackerel strip on the same rig! Looks like I won't be getting away with frozen shite over the next few months...time to get digging...

2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby seank » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:31 pm

kieran wrote:eventually went on Sunday 9th into mist and drizzle and a strong than forecast moderate westerly.... fished DuGort to get out of the wind and found tons of loose weed,de parted after a small flounder to Eanna and ended up back on An Corraun, where in similar shite conditions in a calm sea we took in a mackerel to feathers, two small Pollack and a few doggies to baits. I am now done with frozen mack as bait, it's shite. Sandeel, squid and prawn will get my vote, but beyond that its catch or dig it...

Kieran I had just 6 thornbacks and a sea trout on that bait.. Nothing wrong with. The fishing was just crap the last day end of story
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby seank » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Teegerstk wrote:I find that too...

Last summer my catch rate was low on frozen stuff, even mackerel/sandeel straight from the tackle shop freezers, meanwhile fresh lug, crab and rag were baits that caught most of my fish, with dogfish preferring blowlug to mackerel strip on the same rig! Looks like I won't be getting away with frozen shite over the next few months...time to get digging...

I had thorns on rusty old frozen fillets Brian just there. Yesterday on achill pollack went mad for fresh lug I was using for wrasse. You can't beat the stuff
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Teegerstk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:53 pm

seank wrote:I had thorns on rusty old frozen fillets Brian just there. Yesterday on achill pollack went mad for fresh lug I was using for wrasse. You can't beat the stuff

Perhaps thornies don't mind some manky Mack but there ain't a lot of rays down my way (wexford), although they're on my hit list for the summer.

Fresh lug/rag on the other hand almost always find some sort of fish for me.

Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby seank » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Teegerstk wrote:
seank wrote:I had thorns on rusty old frozen fillets Brian just there. Yesterday on achill pollack went mad for fresh lug I was using for wrasse. You can't beat the stuff

Perhaps thornies don't mind some manky Mack but there ain't a lot of rays down my way (wexford), although they're on my hit list for the summer.

Fresh lug/rag on the other hand almost always find some sort of fish for me.

In my experience Dogfish, Huss and Thornback love soft older baits. On the west coast at least. Even more so than fresh stuff. I dont think what I was using was manky as some I have used in I could still get tidy bait presentation...
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Teegerstk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm

seank wrote:In my experience Dogfish, Huss and Thornback love soft older baits. On the west coast at least. Even more so than fresh stuff. I dont think what I was using was manky as some I have used in I could still get tidy bait presentation...

Fair enough. The older stuff definitely gives off some smell alright

Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum