Fishing for Pollock

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Fishing for Pollock

Postby RKMG » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:56 pm

When fishing for Pollock from a boat, what is the best setup/rig to use and what type of bait? Do mackerel strips work for Pollock and if so should I keep it on the bottom or mid water?

Was thinking of trying a float with a feathered hook and a mackerel strip just to try something new? would this have a chance?
RKMG
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Fishing for Pollock

Postby kieran » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Lots of options...

Baited feathers will work fine, feathers on their own will work fine.

Jigging with a metal or soft plastic lure will take them. I've even seen one caught on a banana skin... for a bet, which I lost.

Pollack are ambush predators and attack from below, so you're probably going to find them near the bottom.

Float fishing will work in shallower water or off the shore... but probably not so good from a boat in deeper water.

HTH
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby chuckaroo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:51 pm

the float system will definitely work as long as the bait gets down to the depth of the fish.
but by all accounts the best method, as I find stated by a lot of anglers one that I'd agree to, seems to be a strip of mackerel belly fished very slowly (very slow retrieve) on a leadhead (to get it down).
the depth you fish at will depend where the pollack are located - whether they are sitting on the edge of a kelp forest mid-water (they tend to hang around within the kelp too and can be fished for over the kelp), whether they are located over a reef or on a wreck, or whether they are on the bottom; they can be found in all these places and more but these are the 'likely' places. The simple thing is to vary your depth to try to locate them.
if the pollack are there then they are usually easily caught. if they aren't there then keep moving the boat to other places to try to locate them.
I personally also find spinners and soft plastics every bit as good, it can save some hassle with needing bait and soft plastics with big single hooks can illimate catching a lot of the smaller 'nuisance' fish (if you find them a nuisance) and small coleys for example etc. Most things work, including feathers.
my 2 cents anyway. hope it helps
Last edited by chuckaroo on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby RKMG » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Great, thanks for your advice, I think I'll just try a few different options in a few different places and see what happens,

when using soft plastics from a boat, do you usually just cast and slowly retrieve them back or attach them to a boom and jigg up and down?
RKMG
SAI Lug Worm

Postby chuckaroo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Would tend to use soft plastics in shallower waters from the boat, would tye the line directly to the soft plastic and cast and retrieve - as the soft plastic needs the movement action.
If it's deep water then baited or unbaited feathers/redgills would suffice with a bit of jigging.
The leadhead with the mackerel strip can be used in either scenario, just need the appropriate size/weight of leadhead.
Wouldn't use a boom.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby RKMG » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks for that, I am fishing around Killiney Bay mostly as that is where I have my boat but I reckon its about finding the right marks as much as what lures/bait I am using!! keeps things interesting anyway
RKMG
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Rob Millard » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Fish the rough ground around Dalkey Island. Ragworm will work well, or soft plastics. It's very snaggy ground, so be prepared to catch the bottom a bit.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum