How do you tie your rigs

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

How do you tie your rigs

Postby anirishfisherman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi
Ive always wondered how other people tie their rigs
Do you use 3 way swivels, crimps + beads or do you use knots, or is there even more ways to tie em
also if u use crimps, do u use a crimping tool???
Thanks lads
anirishfisherman
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: How do you tie your rigs

Postby kieran » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 am

when crimping I use a sniped nosed pliers as it gives excellent control, you don't want to crimp too hard and damage the line within the ferrule.

Normally use ferrule, 8 mm bead, swivel, 8 mm bead, ferrule, rarely use three ways unless building big rigs for boat fishing or monster hunting off the deep rock marks.

HTH
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ardinn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:00 pm

I used to make my flappers with crimps, till one day my definate pb bass broke the rig at the crimp! Never used one since. So 3way always now instead, if using a knot i will use a dropper loop knot, and snip one of the sides - its a good knot!
http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/dropper-loop

I dont make the my rigs exactly the same until I start seeing a pattern for the time of year, for instance I find shorter snoods on my pennels work better during colder months.

I make everything on minimum 4/0 to 7/0 to avoid the smaller species, Im only looking for bass, cod, smoothies, and going forward, tope.
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Postby anirishfisherman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:23 pm

ardinn wrote:I used to make my flappers with crimps, till one day my definate pb bass broke the rig at the crimp! Never used one since. So 3way always now instead, if using a knot i will use a dropper loop knot, and snip one of the sides - its a good knot!
http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/dropper-loop

I dont make the my rigs exactly the same until I start seeing a pattern for the time of year, for instance I find shorter snoods on my pennels work better during colder months.

I make everything on minimum 4/0 to 7/0 to avoid the smaller species, Im only looking for bass, cod, smoothies, and going forward, tope.

thanks for the replies kieran and ardinn
ive read about breakway crimps and their crimp tool, apparently it crimps the line in such a way that it doesnt damage it plus it also has rubber on the inside
also about that knot, how will it hold up against a really hard fighting fish, surely it might snap when its put under hard enough pressure?
anirishfisherman
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby gannet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:13 pm

gannet
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby ardinn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:57 am

anirishfisherman wrote:thanks for the replies kieran and ardinn
ive read about breakway crimps and their crimp tool, apparently it crimps the line in such a way that it doesnt damage it plus it also has rubber on the inside
also about that knot, how will it hold up against a really hard fighting fish, surely it might snap when its put under hard enough pressure?

Because its the same line its 50lb mono - there is no snood per sé so if the fish breaks it then fair play to it!
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Postby john86 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:58 pm

50lb snoods 7/0 hooks on flapper rigs what the hell are you guys catching.

For this message the author john86 has received thanks:
corbyeire (Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:51 pm)
john86
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby guts » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:06 pm

i use 100 trace line and crimp on to that with 25 pound amnesa works pretty well for me
guts
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby ardinn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:51 pm

john86 wrote:50lb snoods 7/0 hooks on flapper rigs what the hell are you guys catching.

Ha - I wouldnt be using 7/0 on them - 4/0 tho - I like to have a go with these right in front of me in very shallow water. suprisingly effective and even more surisingly is it works best during the day on shallow beaches specifically for bass! f it aint broke dont fix it!
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Postby ste c » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 am

4/0 hooks on a flapper rig is madness even for bass iv had bass to 7.5lb clear snoods on size 2 chinu cox an rawls its all i use for crab baits once they hammer the crab 9 times out of 10 there on also pick up anything else on them if fishing is hard
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby ardinn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:45 pm

As i said i use bigger hooks to avoid other species. thats the only reason. it is unusual but thats the way i like to do it. :D
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Postby keymcg » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 pm

Fish don't always seem to obey the "rules" when it comes to hook sizes. I've had a small tub gurnard in a tope trace with an 8/0 circle hook and a 10lb ling on a size 8 gamakatsu for mini species.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For this message the author keymcg has received thanks:
corbyeire (Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:54 pm)
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum