youghal & waterford estuaries

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi all,

two questions for those in the know who frequest either or both estuaries and might offer their opinion -

1. Is it necessary to pendulum cast in order to have the optimum chance of catching mr cod?

2. What mainline is desirable for these locations?

Thanks in advance
B-T.

Re: youghal & waterford estuaries

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi I fished ferry point last Wednesday night. Had a codling & 2 dog fish. A cast of about 100m will put u in deep water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Good stuff cod chaser, what mainline strength were you using, in my infrequent trips to youghal and ferry point I did not find the bottom weedy at all, so I'm thinking a 20lb mainline is sufficient

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 pm

I always use 18-20lb in these areas and will always fish 2 rods to find the fish 1 lobbed and the other as far as i can

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks for the reply ste.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:52 pm

No need for pendulum casts when fishing either estuary in fact the further you cast the tougher the fishing due to the currents that run these areas at times and plenty fish and deep water sub 60yards.Sometimes a 30 yard cast is all that's required for some marks especially the upper reaches of both estuaries.For that reason even 25 to 30lb straight through to the rig is perfect and very useful if you happen to be fishing a snaggy area.
If fishing the lower reaches for example youghal beach a reputable .35mm mono with a proper shock leader knot[bimini twist or spider hitch etc] to 50/60lb is perfect if you do want to have the option of trying to hit the horizon which isn't always required but can be an added option to have in the back pocket especially in calm settled weather and fish are a bit scarce close to shore.But again major distance shouldn't be required when a nice sea is running.
Tight lines

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:47 pm

I use 15lb mono with a 5oz grip lead.

Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks cod chaser and beach buddy very common sense and informative info.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:25 pm

Braid is what i find best approx 60lb bs. Sometimes it is good to fish two rods one at 30 yds the other further out.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks c-c for the nfo

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:41 am

Coppercoast wrote:Braid is what i find best approx 60lb bs.

I've been using 30lb and find it spot on. Dan out in the Halfway has Leeda braid for under €20 for 300yds been using it and find it ok.
http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index ... ts_id=1088

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Hey guys any cod appearing in young hall at all? I spent Thursday and Friday night last week from after dark til about 10 at the Abby but just 2 reasonable flounder... Any advice..? Using frozen lug which isn't everyone's favourite but I find it handier than crab, and I've had plenty of cod on lug in the past. Is crab essential in yougal...?

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:32 pm

I must have been talking to you on Thurs evening. Where you over in the left hand corner? We hammered the estuary Thurs - Sun with fresh crab. Very poor with only 2 takable cod caught. The water was still warm mind so I haven't given up hope yet.

Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:46 pm

2 marks on the waterford estuary other night small flounder and small codling its not looking good at all

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi lads, I fished ferry point last Sunday night. Fished with frozen crab 1.5 hours either side of low tide. Caught 2 small codling very poor for this time of the year.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Its terrible and its not going to pick up either im sorry to say but were nearly into december an they are thin on the ground

Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:59 pm

guernica84 wrote:I must have been talking to you on Thurs evening. Where you over in the left hand corner? We hammered the estuary Thurs - Sun with fresh crab. Very poor with only 2 takable cod caught. The water was still warm mind so I haven't given up hope yet.

Yeah me and another lad on the old pier? You arrived down but didn't fish...? This weekend could be great if the cold picks up! Maybe beach time if the rain keeps up though. Boat time if the wind stops.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Might not all be doom and gloom , I had five codling up to 2 1/2 lb yesterday from the carpets . Not big and not plentiful but it's getting better slowly

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 pm

Morgan44 wrote:Might not all be doom and gloom , I had five codling up to 2 1/2 lb yesterday from the carpets . Not big and not plentiful but it's getting better slowly

Looks lovely and neepy this weekend too! Any chance you could pm me the location of "the carpets" Morgan44? I'm thinking the beaches might be a good bet too with the abundance of fresh water in the estuaries. Might try a few over the weekend.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:57 am

Also known as Green's Quay.
https://www.google.ie/#q=green%27s+quay+youghal