Ray hunting Cork!!

Tue May 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi all
Any body have a few ideas for a bit of ray and flatty fishing for tomorrow night. first chance ive had in ages to get out!!
Anywhere within an hour of cork city id consider. Was thinking Redbarn?????
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Cheers!!

Re: Ray hunting Cork!!

Tue May 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Might be a bit early for ray off the East Cork beaches, the painted normally don't start to show until about September. There should be flounder there.
For thornbacks you could try out the left hand side of Fountainstown. Sadly you could be plagued with dogs.

Tue May 19, 2015 10:49 pm

Thanks Donal. Might give it a try. Hows the ground there??

Tue May 19, 2015 10:54 pm

rock in front of you but clean sand out side them.

Wed May 20, 2015 9:03 am

Had a nice 7lb painted off ballynamona a few weeks back...they are around alright sparsely,lost a nice ray Saturday inside the harbour,not 15 ft away,he kited and spat out my pennel....not sure if it was painted or blonde tho..

Thu May 21, 2015 12:43 pm

No ray unfortunately at the mark donal but manage a few flounder and dogs. Got a bit of a surprise on my 1st cast when i pulled in a big ass spider crad that was after eating a full mackerel flapper!!
Lovely spot thou for a few hours fishing and the weather was spot on. Will have to give it another go over the weekend for those rays!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Well done for getting out a nice short spin :D They are the boys that will cut your snoods for you.
Just take note of the time, tide and conditions. Ray are incline to move around while feeding.

Sun May 24, 2015 2:29 pm

If fishing there again keep an eye out for the speargun "fishermen" who have a habit of popping up right in front of where you're fishing :twisted: Interestingly the fishing has been very patchy down there in the recent few weeks.