Totally new beginner in Dublin

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

Totally new beginner in Dublin

Postby wisemike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:35 am

I'll be visiting Dublin for a couple of months, and would love to catch some fish, clams or mussels from various locations in Dublin. I'll be staying near Dun Laoghaire, and I might settle in Dublin later.

I would like to know some things:
- where are good spots near that for a beginner
- what kind of rod should I ask for to buy? any fishing gear, and how much
- what kinds of fish i could expect to fish during April-June + what kind of baits for them
- if there are some places or meetups for beginners to teach some basic fishing tips
- any suggestions for places/shops that I could buy from the fishing gear and baits?

Sorry if that's a lot, but that's my first post, and I couldn't reply to ask some of these questions on similar posts because they were locked (closed).

Thanks a lot.
wisemike

Re: Totally new beginner in Dublin

Postby kieran » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:30 am

As a new member, you need to make some posts here before you will be allowed into other areas on the forums.

Firstly, I'd avoid collecting shellfish for consumption around Dublin, whilst the water quality has improved dramatically, I would doubt it could be considered completely safe. Sorry to be a killjoy on this, others here may be able to advise where to collect shellfish that is safe, but err on the side of caution.

If you are staying near Dun Laoghaire, probably your best option would be to fish from the piers in the harbour itself, especially if you are a beginner. It's safe, easy to get to, you're bound to bump into other more experienced anglers, and there's a surprising variety of fish available if you know what you are doing...

To get an idea of what is available, and where to go given it is a big harbour, search for Dun Laoghaire in all the threads. By looking at the dates at which the reports were posted, you will get an idea of what species of fish are available when, where, and using what baits and tactics.

You should join a local sea angling club. They will be very helpful and extend your knowledge with competitions on local beaches, probably as far south as Wexford. It also gives you insurance so that you can enter other IFSA competitions.

For April to June, you need to remember that the sea is a season behind the land, so our spring is the sea's winter. Not great, but there are still fish to be caught. The good news is that it will start to improve very shortly. Mackerel can show up any time from April onwards, although it is usually June or July before they come in shoals.

In terms of gear, don't spend a fortune. If you join a club, someone might sell you good quality well maintained gear second hand. They would probably be happy to bring you on a session or two and show you how to use it. All you would need to do is replace the line and terminal tackle. But I am sure others will chip in here with advice...

Tight lines!

For this message the author kieran has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:07 pm), ecleary (Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:06 am)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing