Tiga SL85 Headlight or other similar

Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:00 pm

Its that time of the year again when most of my fishing gets done in the darkness. I have been using the MFA System 3 LED as my principal source of light but the battery has croaked on me a few times now so was considering looking at the Tiga. Anybody have any experience of this lighting system or can recommend any other? Thanx for any help.

Pete

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:08 pm

the tiga's definately throw out good light from what ive seen. i use a speleo night raider myself and like it a lot, you have the benefit of using a 20 or 10 watt halogen beam on it.they are reduced with a lot of the mail order companies in sea angler from £135 to around £100

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:14 pm

bought a samalite headlamp last year I think it cost around 150 from gerrys mail order. It is quite expensive but it would light up croke park. it makes my old tilly lamp redundant The head gear weighs very little but find the rechargeable battery a little on the heavy side. however overall it a great piece of kit

hope this helps

mick

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:56 pm

I've been using the MFA for 2 years now with no problems, I think you have to be carefull with charging them , as over-charging damages the battery

b0ogaloo

Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:15 am

Can recommened the light output form the Tiga SL12. It's absolutely excellent. Light output is massive and you get a well built quality piece of kit. My only gripe with it would be the weight of the battery.

However the SL85 is the same headpiece with a lighter battery, sounds like the perfect solution to me.

Liam

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:32 pm

with most of the big beam rechargables the battery is going to be heavy though.either work with a big beam rechargable headlight or a base lamp like a tilley or similar for lighting up your area and use one of the cheap small led headlights for closer work like watching rod tip , reeling in or baiting up etc.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:42 pm

I use a Petzl Myo 5, 5 LED's with variable light output and a halogen main beam. Runs on 4 AA batteries so am using NIMH rechargeables and find it spot on. Does not have as powerful a beam as the ones you are talking about but has the advantage of reduced weight and the battery pack sits at the back of your head ( handy if wearing 2 piece flotation suit without belt ). Paid £55 for it last year, sure they are cheaper now.

Lee

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:54 pm

Have been using the tilly with the MFA system. Fishing rocks at night I tend to keep the base camp well above the water and when landing fish at water level found the likes of the petzl type headlamps didn't give near enough light to do the job safely or succesfully so thats why I changed to using the 6 volt battery outfit. Does mean carrying a load more gear though, which can be a pain when there is any kind of a hike involved.

E-mailed veals and a replacement battery for the MFA is £13.99 which isn't too bad.

Pete

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:57 pm

if anyone is looking a spare rechargable 6volt battery or anything for their headlights try any of the shops who sell remote control cars or the like. also these kind of bigger batteries i think can be obtained from burgular alarm guys?
you may find them cheaper from these kind of places, i got a spare for my night raider for £10 a few years back