It's new Rod time!

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:57 pm

Hi,

I've now got myself up to speed with my Imax 2/4 and 6/7 Beachcasters with multipliers. I've also now got my new Shimano Fixed Spool reel :D :D for spinning from the beach but no home for it :( so I need to buy some more kit :D

So, allowing for the fact that I have no spinning experience, please recommend what rod I should be wasting my money on. What I want is a rod that is well up to most things chucked at it, price is not an issue but I do not want to buy kit that is so out of my league I would gain a negligible benefit.

I want a "value for money rod" plus but not an "Expensive name minus" if that is clear?

Thanks in advance :D

Re: It's new Rod time!

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:12 pm

quarterflounder wrote:Hi,

I've now got myself up to speed with my Imax 2/4 and 6/7 Beachcasters with multipliers. I've also now got my new Shimano Fixed Spool reel :D :D for spinning from the beach but no home for it :( so I need to buy some more kit :D

So, allowing for the fact that I have no spinning experience, please recommend what rod I should be wasting my money on. What I want is a rod that is well up to most things chucked at it, price is not an issue but I do not want to buy kit that is so out of my league I would gain a negligible benefit.

I want a "value for money rod" plus but not an "Expensive name minus" if that is clear?

Thanks in advance :D

The shakespeare ugly stick range are quite good an average at about 50.00 per rod. Try them there excellent value for money

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:53 pm

i got a penn sidewinder a few months back. It has quickly become my fave rod - it fishes well in so many conditions and can whack a lead out if needed.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:07 pm

If money is not a problem, take a look at the Mike Ladle Surespin from Veals. Price is 75 (sterling) plus P&P. Lovely rod. Casts a plug well, handles spinners perfectly, and fine for float fishing too.

It's slightly stiffer than your average spinning rod - this is no harm as at least your arms won't be aching from casting plugs all day.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:02 pm

yeah have to agree with you, ive heard some relly good reports about the surespin rods, probably be worth throwing the extra few quid at it, also it is built on a trusty daiwa blank.

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:30 am

Can't recommend the Mike Ladle sure spin enough, in fact considering buying a second in case they stop doing them. I use it for general spinning work and it has enough backbone for dealing with big pollock and kelpy ground.

Pete

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:27 pm

Bought an 11ft Daiwa Super Shinobi, nice choice for spinning/plugging too. Rated to 60 grams but an ounce and a half really is enough if you're whacking it. Pricey though € 130 - 150.

I believe it's the replacement for the old Samurai S which I also have - magic piece of kit. Has handled everything I've thrown at it over the years. Ed Schliffe was a big fan of this range.

Both have a beautiful action and not too heavy, even small fish will feel great but has enough in reserves to handle the bigger stuff too.

Liam

leeda akon bass

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:31 pm

anyone know if this rod is any good??its 11 foot, 2-4 ounce, Leeda Akon Bass. fixed spool setup.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:59 pm

the ikon bass is a very good rod for its job, and price.

carp rod

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:59 am

I am new to this but read in sea angling i think and 2 or 3 tackle shops advised me to use a carp rod 2.5 test curve i have been all summer and its a dream cucks a lead and i have had good pollock and others on it.

they made for big fighting carp so no problem with anything in sea and being very strong but light great sport in it.