Help wit reels

Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:16 pm

I'm thinking of buying a new multiplier for mixed to rough ground fishing. I was thinking of getting a slosh 20 or a Penn 525 Super mag, i haven't seen any penns on the beach yet and was wondering if any body has one all comments would be welcome.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:26 pm

don't have a slosh. the 525's should be fine for lines from 15 to 25lb. they are up to the job of rough ground work. the old 525mag is a good reel with the supermag potentially being a lot slower. the 525gs can now be bought with a mag or u could just buy one of the models without- they are cheaper than the 525mags too.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:37 pm

I tend to agree with MB3 on this one, the sloshes are good have both the 20 and 30 but they suffer on line capabalities and useage. The Penn is a better reel for casting too and in my opinion would outlive the Slosh.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:59 pm

Peacock,

The Slosh is not a bad reel, it has one giant problem in its design, the gear housing is in the wrong place for beachcasting with the reel "UP" you can't get your knuckles under to get your thumb over the spool, reel "LOW" no problem, its fine.

The Penn 525Mag is the best selling reel in Ireland and the UK, why, it has strong gears, casts well and covers the size between Abu 6500 and 7000.

You cant go wrong with a 525 IMHO

Good Luck,
Tom.

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:23 pm

go for the super mag, itll be your best all rounder!costs a bit more but theyll last you for ages judging by the other 525's, even if you abuse it! had a chuck with a new supermag at the weekend straight out of the box and was impressed as it is a bit slower and is more forgiving allowing a wider margin for casting error.