can anyone recommend a line

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:34 pm

Hi everyone :D
Can anyone recommend a line (not braid) for long distance casting :?:
Forget about Daiwa tournament line (yellow) I tried it, and it won't last.(too soft) :(
I have also tried Sufix line (12 + 15lb b/s) and was pleased with it.
But there must be a line that everyone can agree is the supreme line for all beachcasting Venues :?:

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:00 pm

its got to be berkeley big game clear in 15 or 18lb.casts straight off the spool with few problems.use your mechanical brake for the first session if using a multiplier

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:11 pm

ghost line. gerrys of morecombe!!!!!in tests in sea angler was the best of the best.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:40 pm

red ice 18lb tought and long lasting and potential to cat far

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:52 pm

the berkley big game would be a good choice if your mainly looking abrasion resistance, or go the other way and buy a big bulk spool of something cheap and change it more regularly?

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:35 pm

beachcaster wrote:ghost line. gerrys of morecombe!!!!!in tests in sea angler was the best of the best.
Sounds good but What about STREN Line, Has anyone tried it. A bit costly @ about £6.00 for 300 yrds of 15lb :? what would Ghost line cost :?:

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:43 pm

aint tried stren, its meant to be good though. another has came to mind, fladen vantage pro, ive heard from a couple of guys its meant to be really really good value and quality line.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:22 pm

Berkley big-game is very abrasion resistant but it has a thicker diameter than lines of similar test. Have you tried Daiwa duo infinity ?

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:46 am

Stren is a top quality line that wont let you down, very limp, good abrasion resistance, ties fantastically etc, well worth every penny. The gold was always my favourite though im using the clear blue in 12lb this season on a baitrunner and have found it to be as good as the gold. I`ve also been using Mustad Surfcast mono recently on 6000 size multipliers and have to say im very impressed with it in all respects. Casts a dream too.

Marty

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:41 pm

Staying away from the reduced diameter stuff is a good starting point. Agree with the views on Berkeley triline and have nothing but good to say about Diawa Tournament.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:26 pm

i have used daiwa sensor for donkeys years and have had no problems, though i would not use it over rough ground as it has too much stretch and you would walk back a long way before it breaks. use suffix tritanium 20 lb over rough ground excellent lines the both.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:53 pm

suffix gets my vote. sits lovely on a reel. i bent out size 1 b940 aberdeens with this stuff.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:54 pm

Just received a sample spool of Grey's new line called Greylon
Super Co polymer low diameter(15lb .32) High strength super soft high abrasion resistance
1000 yards for a tenner
That's what it says on the spool
I'll be trying it out tomorrow and will post back.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:53 pm

Daiwa sensor is very good, It's sold as carp line in brown and also clear at 2 quid a spool more.

The 12lb is .33 mm and breaks at 15.5 lb and the 15lb is actually nearer 20lb.

Like sevans said you can go for a long walk down the beach when pulling for a break though.

If you are feeling flush shimano technium is the best you can get in Mono.

AVOID THE INFINITY DUO. The black and yellow sections are bonded together and I have seen what happens when they part company from each other. It ain't pretty , and I have seen it happen twice now to different people so it wasn't just one bad spool.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:20 pm

The best line i have ever used is definately without a doubt 'stingray 18lb' yellow line. I have tried many others but for its casting reliability off a multiplier combined with its diameter and sheer strength it beats everything else i've used. I have tried Diawa and Berkley and Penn etc. as well as others but this obscure stuff gets my recomendation. 8)