Long Range Casting with John Holden

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:14 am

I ordered this video off veals, after watching a couple of time headed to the football pitch. Within 20minutes of putting information into practice I have increased my distance form about 120yards(dislocating my shoulders in the process) to hitting 150+ with half the effort.
I stopped trying to do a pendulum cast and concentrating on getting a good off the ground technique.
The video is a bit dated in the way it looks but don't be put off as the fundamentals are there. And as Mr Holden says in the video getting the basics correct is the main step to casting well.
So I've put the pendulum + multiplier rod and reel away and am going to keep practicing with my K2 + fixed spool until I've mastered the basics.
at least with the fixed I don't have to worry about over runs, bird nests and reel tuning, just the casting.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:59 pm

Based on Scara's shining review, I got a copy myself. Well worth a watch - the 'doing it wrong' section looks like it was written for me - I can hit about 100 yards at the moment, but that is with an all-out overhead thump.

I'll be interested to see how much I can improve with proper technique.

The video does sound a bit like a 1970's Open University program, but don't be fooled. When you see the ease with which yer man can hit 170 yards, unless you can do the same, you know there's something to be learned.

Covers casting with fixed spool and multiplier including on some of the longer style rods that seem to have caught on here recently but have been used on the continent for yonks.

Also mentions some basic reel tuning tips and some mods for fixed spool reels.

All interesting stuff and I'd say a must for anyone starting beach casting.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:14 pm

the problem arises when you wanna get past 170/ 180 yards!! is there a video out there to show how to do that?? this range is refered to as 'the wall'. it is common for casters to reach this distance and get stuck! i won't rest til i hit 250!!!

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:22 am

The video does mention getting over this distance using pendulum casting with those really long continental rods. It's just a combination of a well tuned reel, lightest line you can fish, longest rod, most streamlined clipped down rig and perfecting the pendulum cast.

I guess the trick is to practice daily for years - like the tournament casters do..... :lol:

Oh, and spend a lot of dough on top notch kit..... :cry:

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:34 am

m.b3 wrote:the problem arises when you wanna get past 170/ 180 yards!! is there a video out there to show how to do that?? this range is refered to as 'the wall'. it is common for casters to reach this distance and get stuck! i won't rest til i hit 250!!!

I think mb3 that maybe your well past the stage of video help. the benefit for me was I had little of the basics and was relying on my size 6'2 and 15stone, so when I got some instruction it was an immediate improvement.
I think maybe it's time for you to get some casting instructions on the field. I now know that once i get happy with the off the ground I'll be getting an instructor.

casting

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:51 am

i would recommend to anyone to go to a good casting instructor,you will improve technique and learn some other things aswell.distance comes with practise and a good technique,there is no substitute for this,once you get to a certain stage with casting from then on it is shear hard work and technique and practise.sorry but it is the truth i have been there.!!!!!

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:04 pm

i heard casting instructors can get a feel for your style(ehem!) and can recommend a rod to suite?

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:19 pm

One thing I would be interested in is seeing how far a casting instructor (or even sombody a lot better than me) could cast with my current setup. Sooner or later, if your casting improves, you'll probably 'outgrow' your gear. It'd be nice to have an idea of what's possible distance-wise with a given setup before upgrading. Will probably have to invest in the services of a casting instructor later, but the video will do me fine for now.

Although given how close in the commercial boys are fishing these days, casting 250 yards could leave you liable for damages....

Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:08 pm

m.b3 wrote:the problem arises when you wanna get past 170/ 180 yards!! is there a video out there to show how to do that?? this range is refered to as 'the wall'. it is common for casters to reach this distance and get stuck! i won't rest til i hit 250!!!

I spent alot of years wandering up and down fields with tournament rods in casting events to the point where i could drop a lead at the 215yrd + every cast and can say Ive seen the above prob lots of times. Usual way to get over it is to reevaluate your casting style - Get your stance right, slow things down and apply the power at the right time and get the rod compressed properly, this combined with a smooth style and alot of practice will see your lead hit the 200yrd mark.
If you are stuck around the 175yrd mark and are serious about getting big distances get in touch with an instructor as you prob have a few flaws in you style and you are just gonna compound them as you try to cast further by putting the power on.

Of course none of the above is any use if your gear isnt up to he job either so get the small brake blocks in and tune the hell outta your reel, then stick it on a decent rod and go practice practice practice.

Marty

Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:35 pm

yeah Marty i think i'll get in touch with an instructor. my rods aren't great but i am sure they'll do a push more than i am reaching. buying a new(and very expensive) rod is a complete nightmare. i am gettin fed up at this stage trying to make my mind up. i would like to just get on with my fishin!

Long Range Casting with John Holden

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:50 pm

Not that I can cast that well or anything - in fact there are days when pole fishing seems the obvious thing to do :lol: but where are these casting instructors in Ireland and the South East preferably.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:55 am

Mark/mb3,

What beachcaster tells you is right on the button, an instructor will see after a few casts what you lack or what your doing wrong and show you how to imrove your style and distance. No video can do that.

The long continental style rods are not made for pendulum casting, by the time the tip comes around the tide will be out :lol: :lol: :lol: but you can hit very good distance with a less demanding style as long as you use both hands, the pull is as important as the punch.

I've only ever seen one of John holdens videos, but I'm told he goes the long way around his instructions compared to Neil Mackellows videos, I'm not saying this is wrong, just repeating what was once said to me 8)

Money spent with a good instructor can achieve more than all the top end gear out there :) :)

Tom.