Diawa, Penn, RT, ABU etc... - What to choose.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:54 pm

Having changed from a multi rod and reel setup to a fixed spool outfit I am half thinking of going back.
I am looking at a couple of rods and reels and was wondering if people could give me an opinion on the list below. My main area of fishing is the Shannon Estuary(mixed to rough) but I do some beach fishing too.

Rods:
Diawa Supercast STS13M
Penn Copperhead
Ron Thompson aXellerator
ABU Conolon Xodus
Imax Beach 5 stroke 6

Reels:
ABU Mag Elite/Sports Mag
Penn 525 Mag
Diawa SL20

Any comments or help most appreciated.

Eoin

PS I have one of those RT G-Force rods that I was reading about in another thread. Great rod but crap rings. Got them all redone and not looked back. Has pulled Tope, Ray Bass etc out of clean mixed and rough ground. Will definatley be using it even with a new rod.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:41 pm

the most of those rods you mention are more at the beach/mixed end of the scale rather than for mixed/rough ground are they not? as for reels the penns and daiwa slosh's would be better than the abus too take mixed rough ground.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:04 am

I was lead to believe from the manufacturers sites that those rods would be good for mixed to rough ground. Its possible I am mistaken though.

Eoin

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:37 am

the 525 mag or the sl20 would be the reels i would choose the penn copperhead good rod but have been told they go soft very quickley,the ron thompson axcellerator is a rough ground rod but you may find it very stiff and hard to bend.

Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:39 pm

Thanks for the info and the opinions lads.

Most appreciated.....

Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:58 am

Of the rods you mention, the Daiwa Supercast range of rods are excellent. However I would suggest that you choose the PM (Power Match) version for where you are fishing. It's a stepped up version of the standard STS blank.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:33 pm

Hi
The Imax 5 stroke 6, have a tendency of snapping about 2' from the tip.
If you are looking at the Imax then the, 6 stroke 7, would be better for the rough stuff.

The other rods are ok for mixed/light rough ground use, and are rods that are more user friendly, than, the out and out pokers for rough ground.

As for the reels the Penn 525 Mag and Slosh 20 with higher retrieve rates would be the only choice for mixed/rough ground, with the 525 a very good all-rounder, the abu's are great for clean ground, but under gunned on the rough.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:19 pm

Thanks lads for the advice. I was tending to lean towards the Diawa selection alright.

Will let ye know how i get on.

Eoin

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:49 pm

Does anyone know what tackleshops stock the daiwa supercast?

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:38 pm

Sean,

Limerick angling center can order in Daiwa rods at a reasonable enough price. I've never used the supercast but the I've seen the heavier version in action and it looks a bit light for the estuary.

Eoin,

I as you know have a penn sidewinder and find it about right for the Estuary. Progresive action is great for pulling fish out of snags. A stiffer rod would deal with really big fish in the really rough ground but I'd miss out on having my rod bend for the rest of my fishing.

Donagh

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:23 pm

I don't have any experience of using the newer Supercast but i have one of the older models and its coped with anything i've encountered between the North Antrim & North Donegal coast - Cod, rays, double hook ups of doggies etc.

I've used it for fishing anything from a sandy beach to places so weedy it was almost impossible to get a sinker to the bottom ! :lol:

Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:45 am

The new rod and reel arrived yesterday. I decided to go with the RT axellerator and the Diawa Slosh 20 and 30 reels. I ordered the whole lot from Veals on Sunday night. The whole lot came to about €350, thats still cheaper than I could get here.
I went and tried a few casts this morning with the 20 onboard. I will admit it was difficult to get the bend into the rod but I reckon with a time I will manage it. With a 6oz sinker on the end 120yrds was no problem. I've yet to try the 30 but hopefully the weekend will clear up a bit.
So far I am very happy with the rod and the reels. The build quality on the rod is excellent and is much better than the RT G-Force I have already.

Thanks for the advice and info above lads. It was most appreciated.

Eoin

Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:26 pm

i heard d rt g force being mentioned,is it worth the money it costs,im considering tryng2 buy one,and maybe an an okuma reel (yes is a cheap little man)but its just im not that serious bout fihsing,to go spending €300-400,on a setup.when dont have to!i dont hold it against ye,for spending the money,just im hoping to work up.im just wondering is it worth the moeny(personally if its d same rod im thinking about,i think just on budget its worth a consider,any opinions?thanx for all d advice,and also,its definately fixed spool not multiplier!!