Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:32 am

If you can stretch to it, I saw a good bargain in one of the mags this month (I think it was Total Sea fishing, but it could have been Sea Angler).

You can buy an ABU Esprit for £69.99 from Torbay angling. The RRP is over 100 quid.

This would suit you perfectly, it's not too powerful, and would be a good rod to progress your castings skills. it's also one that will last a lot longer than a bargain basement rod, having quality rings (Fuji's) and fittings. I think Torbay let you pay by post dated cheque over a 3 month period too.

If you are keen to buy a cheaper rod, then take a look at the Shakespeare Odessa FS rod. You can get it for as cheap as £35 if you look through Sea Angler. This rod gives performance equal to rods two and three times it's price, and is widely recognised as a great starting outfit. I have one thats 4 years old and still going strong. I'd definitely recommend this one in this price bracket.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:44 pm

Shakespeare Odessa FS rod.

I was recommended one of these last year, never got it but was keeping my eye out. MacTackle have them for €80 (reduced from €90), Which works out at the same price as the £35 one when you convert to euro and add shipping.
I rang Mactackle a while back when they were selling them for €90, they only had the multiplier version, but they could get the FS for the same price. Now that they are reduced to €80 I don't know if the this price will apply to FS as well.