Ron Thompson G-Force Beach Rod

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:28 am

Anyone ever use one of these? How would you rate it??

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:34 am

Supposed to be one of the better budget blanks. Rings are very poor. One of the lads I know had the rings on his G-force rust in a few months.

Donagh

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:40 am

S**t thats not much good!

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:19 pm

After complaining he did get it exchanged and its now going ok. Mate of mine also has a G-force as a second rod (which I must try a cast of) and has no trouble with it. It may of been a one off but the look of the rings don't inspire confidence and Alan Yates remarked on this in one of the rod test reviews in SA.

Donagh

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:35 pm

good beachcaster for the price

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:42 pm

cheers lads, just seen a good deal in the glasgow angling center, ther selling them for 20 pounds!

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:22 pm

Hah! Glasgow Angling Center? I bet when you phone them they'll tell you they're just out of them.......... :)

Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:24 am

i'm with you on that one tanglerat! i've had that happen a time or two myself...... 'sorry we are only just out of stock on that one, would you be interested in this instead???'! its been a few years since i've dealt with them because of this. find lately that im able to get most tackle locally now for the same price as mail order minus the cost of postage, which is far too bleedin dear these days! all the same though, the g-force is a hell of a deal for £20 8)

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:56 pm

Yeah I bought a couple of these about 4 years ago as second rods. Think they were called something else before the G force name though (X stick or something?).

They are grand rods actually, they cast and fish well. I always enjoyed using them anyway. God knows I (and especially my mates) seriously abused both rods, yet they are still in relatively good condition. I haven't used them in a good while now, however my friend borrowed one last weekend and there were no problems with the (original) rings when I checked it over.

Both have fixed reel seats, so don't be expecting coasters with the multi rod.

For £20 they are very good value. Even if they only last for a year or two you will get sterling service for your 20 notes.

And the lads are right about this place. They'll happily take your order over the phone, and not even mention that they don't have any left. And then they will send you a totally different rod with a little note saying, "G-Force out of stock, we have sent you an alternative - hope this is ok". So you might end up with a Leeda Olympic beachcaster which they are trying to flog at present!

They'll also tell you they tried to contact you which is generally a blatant lie! I refuse to buy from them now because of this. I would suggest that you tell them over the phone that they are not to send you a different rod UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:17 pm

Thanks for all that advice anyway lads, I'm seriously reconsidering buying anything from them now, thank god I haven't order from them yet!!

rods

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:05 pm

Try Bowlers angling you will find them in the sea angler mag. Have had 4 rods and 4 reels of them and loads of other stuff tripod and clothing.

Never had a problem and there customer care if a problem second to no one. I broke a tip on a rod and they replaced it before i had other in the post myself.

Also do a great 9 payment deal 9 cheques to the same amount and they cash one every mnth for period of time.

As for the g-force mate has 2 and they cast well and sea angler rod of the year 2004 so has to be something about them. Mr yates did say about rings but as before mate not had problem with them. He paired them with 2 okumo utilizers and they work great.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:53 pm

I must be one of the luckier people when dealing with the Glasgow Angling Center.

Only time i didn't get what i ordered was when they were doing ABU 6500CT Elites (blue one) for £65 inc p&P, had already bought 2 ordered a 3rd but was told out of stock and would a 6500CT mag elite be ok for the same price. Said ok and gave it to the old man for a Xmas pressie :lol: Prefer the Blue elite without the mags :)

But if they're doing the G-Force for £20 its gotta be worth the price of a call to find out if its in stock. :roll:

Bowlers is a good store, been in it a couple of times good stock of tackle and as pookie said very good customer care. Couldn't be more helpful.

Their site [url=http://www.bowlersangling.co.uk/]Bowlers Angling[/url]

Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:16 am

Cheers lads!

ron thompson g force

Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:41 pm

my opinion about rods is you get what you pay for i know this sounds like a bargin but i think time will tell,if you are going to do a lot of fishing from the shore get a good rod and look after it you wont be sorry.century ,zziplex and conoflex are about the best on the market and the new greys range is worth a look with a life time gurantee,you cant go far wrong.cheers john

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:36 pm

What about the ABU Garcia Range? They seem to be of high quality??

ron thompson g force

Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:51 pm

yip even some of the abu range are quite good but i would always go with the well know and trusted name as i have suggested.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:22 pm

i'd have to agree with beachcaster on that one, between me and my dad we have had 3 abu rods, every single one has snapped during casting and let me tell you we weren't hitting them hard either!2 of them broke using 2 1/2 - 3oz leads!

surprisingly i kinda lost faith in them after that! :roll: :shock:

since that any shore rod ive bought has been daiwa, conoflex,zziplex or greys.several guys in my club use century and they are also a cracking rod - just cant afford one myself!

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:02 pm

What about the penn PPT range or surf blasters?

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:19 am

the penn ppt range are a very good range of rods but i have heard that they go soft very quickley, :( :( :(

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:54 am

from glasgow angling center I ordered a ugly stik braid rod for £60 but they were out of stock and sent me an ugly stik custom for the same price (including a note saying they tried to contact me).
surely that wasn't a bad deal? the cheapest I've seen them mail order is about £80.

same thing happened when I ordered a okuma impact beach reel,out of stock but gave me a okuma beachcaster 80 instead.
my impression from the way the order was taken was it is more like a call center,they just took the item numbers and asked what catalogue page,didn't confirm if anything was out of stock.

maybe I was lucky but I have ordered twice lately from them and thats what happened.
all the best
cky