Ron Thompson Utilizer or = Amplifier anyone know them

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:34 pm

Any help on these 2 reels would be great buying soon so need any feedback or anything heard or read on them also any links to info on them as mail order company a bit hard to get stuff on them.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Dunno them, but RT seem to be aimed a bit to the "budget-to-middle-ground" market. I buy some of their stuff, have a nice spinning rod of theirs, but when it comes to reels I prefer to pay a bit more for the established names like Penn, Avet, Shimano and ABU (before ABU had the accountants in and outsourced a lot of their work to the Far East).

Properly taken care of, some of those reels will last generations.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:40 pm

ABU (before ABU had the accountants in and outsourced a lot of their work to the Far East).

If you had 2 similar ABU reel's sitting side beside with one made in Far East and one made in a so called "scandinavian" factory it'd be impossible to tell the difference.

A program to produce the reels on a CNC machine will be the same in Far East as in scandinavia, materials used will be of same quality (ISO standards etc involved) and chances are the CNC machines in the Far East will probably be more advanced.

A lot of the so called established names in fishing tackle are now outsourcing their manufacturing of products to the Far East.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:57 am

You'd think that should be the case, wouldn't you? And while you may not be able to tell them apart when they're sitting side by side, it's a different matter when they're in use.

Witness the debacle with the C7000LD. Dunno how many of those have failed my mates. One bloke had his replaced 3 times in a year before he gave up in disgust. They no longer make them now, just 3 or 4 years after introducing them.

The older generation of ABUs are a class apart from the latest offerings.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:28 am

If you had 2 similar ABU reel's sitting side beside with one made in Far East and one made in a so called "scandinavian" factory it'd be impossible to tell the difference.

A program to produce the reels on a CNC machine will be the same in Far East as in scandinavia, materials used will be of same quality (ISO standards etc involved) and chances are the CNC machines in the Far East will probably be more advanced.

A lot of the so called established names in fishing tackle are now outsourcing their manufacturing of products to the Far East.

You didn't mention quality control, it's the one thing with manufacturers in certain far eastern countries that's a serious problem.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:54 pm

You didn't mention quality control, it's the one thing with manufacturers in certain far eastern countries that's a serious problem.

Always wondered about quality control levels within companies from the Far east, but don't we have quality control issues in all countries :?:
If the quality of components being produced for a product didn't meet the companies reuirements/specifications can't see them purchasing too many. I know i wouldn't.

Bit of topic but the most reliable cars on the market are products of the Far east..

I guess its all down to what or who people want to believe regarding products available on the market.

Daiwa's top of the range saltwater spinning reel the "Saltiga" is produced in their far east factory and its an impressive peice of tackle!

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:20 pm

the most reliable cars on the market are products of the Far east

Big difference between China and Japan! :D

I guess its all down to what or who people want to believe regarding products available on the market.

I believe in my own experiences and what anglers that I know to be experienced tell me, not the marketing hype of tackle companies.

Daiwa's top of the range saltwater spinning reel the "Saltiga" is produced in their far east factory and its an impressive peice of tackle!

I agree with you there. it's got an excellent reputation. But there's another tackle company whose new products I won't buy now untill they've been out on the market for at least a couple of seasons and I get feedback from anglers!

All just my humble opinion, of course. :D

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:23 pm

I agree with you there. it's got an excellent reputation. But there's another tackle company whose new products I won't buy now untill they've been out on the market for at least a couple of seasons and I get feedback from anglers!

Well i can safely say the saltiga is probably the best spinning reel i've ever used, used it while fishing in Australia. Though i've yet to try a Van Staal or Accurate Twinspin.

I've chatted with a lot of anglers that have used it, no disrespect to anyone on this forum but don't think there will be too many reveiws of people using them. They retail for around £500 depending on who you buy it from.

Re: Ron Thompson Utilizer or = Amplifier anyone know them

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:52 am

pookie5488 wrote:Any help on these 2 reels would be great buying soon so need any feedback or anything heard or read on them also any links to info on them as mail order company a bit hard to get stuff on them.

Mate a Penn Fixed Spool would be a better Idea, It'll be a sound investment. Compared to an RT which has been described as a Budget brand. The Penn will be with you for many years to come.

reels

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:26 pm

Just to let anyone know I got 2 of these reels and were they may be for middle market price range the build and the cast of these goes like stink. Used twice and they fly of the reel. I must admit had plans for 2 penn surfmaster reels and iam not making any comparison between them.
But The wee okumo/ RT reels do the job very well they will do me until wife imposed budget is over and iam sure would do a few seasons if cared for.

So if on a budget and you want to get that bit more out of your cast these will do well.