euro-tackle Shrimp rig

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:27 pm

Bought these at the angling show in Swords.
Spent a couple of hours out in a boat from Bullock harbour a few weekends ago. 2 of us fishing on the boat. For the first hour I used the euro-tackle Shrimp rig and caught a few small whiting and 2 mackerel. Jim was using feathers but had no luck.
We then swapped the rods and Jim landed 3 mackerel and a few more whiting over the next hour. I caught nothing.
This rig has quite small hooks (1's or 1/0's). The day was overcast and the shrimps are glow in the dark which might have helped.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:11 pm

I often find the smaller "feather" patterns consistently outfish the larger. My own favourites are Mustad's Shrimp rigs. These smaller lures will outfish they're bigger cousins hands down especially if the mackerel are a bit patchy plus you'll be amazed how many more launce you'll start catching

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:15 pm

I like these shrimp patterns but they seem to come with very light mono. For instance the the mustad shrimpers are only 25lb mono. Anyone recommend a shrimp patten with 60lb plus main line.

Donagh

thanks for plug!!

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:30 pm

Many thanks lads for the advert plug,these shrimp rigs have had great success over the last few months.

THanks
peter

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:03 pm

mustad have a new range of shimp rigs and the like out now according to there new catalogue, some of these maybe worth looking at, they may come with heavier mono?

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:49 am

Hey lads. Was just wondering if it was the strength of the line that helped the catch rate, and unless casting heavy leads there is no real need for strong lines. one other thing that may b of interest. I was fishing for macks on the fly at a pier last year and had chumed them up. we had plenty of fish attracted and were catching well. one intersting thing tho was that although we had numerous follows on each cast most fish turned away. now the flies would be more realistic than the any feathers with eyes etc but they still rejected it untill one was hooked. then the other followed the hooked fish around and if you put another fly near them they would gulp it down. just shows the macks arnt as stupid as maybe we think

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:06 am

Liam,
What your saying is right, many fish that hunt in shoals will wait for a leader to go first, its like that with Tuna, Macks and Sharks even, they seem to know who is the braver fish and follow him/her. Many other land based animals do the same, Wolves, Hyena's etc.

Light line will always help a line shy fish no matter what species, thick line only needs to make them think twice and its the difference between catching and not catching.

Tom.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:05 pm

baitewd shrimp rigs can be great for wrasse on the boat and as some of them are tied on light line it can wear through after gettin a few wrasse due to their teeth, it is times like this that heavier line may be better on them