Use glow stick at the Dark of night as Bait

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:20 pm

You can buy small packets of glow sticks that are supposed to be used for the top of your rod if you are bait fishing at night, but about 2 years ago i came up with the idea of attaching them to my lures and it works brillantly as i have caught many a large Pollock late at night :wink:

Re: Use glow stick at the Dark of night as Bait

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:54 pm

Bass Catcher wrote:You can buy small packets of glow sticks that are supposed to be used for the top of your rod if you are bait fishing at night, but about 2 years ago i came up with the idea of attaching them to my lures and it works brillantly as i have caught many a large Pollock late at night :wink:
Seems an expensive idea to me. Glow in the dark lures are a cheaper option. :roll:

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:01 pm

Kissafish.
Not that expensive mate.
Check out askari. £6.95 for a hundred.

Bill

BTW Basscatcher how do you attach them to your lures?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:33 pm

BigBill,

A method used by the Tuna fishermen on the west coast of America is to put the glow stick inside of a plastic squid (Muppet) with the line through the top of the lure as normal as you pull the hook up into the lure, it will trap the glow stick.

I've tried them from the shore and from the boat, they do catch more fish with the glow stick than without IMO

Tom.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:24 am

Thanks for the tip, its at least worth a try...
have you noticed a color preferance by fish? red or green?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:33 am

bio-luminescence! while both are worth a try i remember digging worms at night. when i turned over the mud there where small worms that glowed for a second or two after the disturbance. the glow was similar to that given off by glow in the dark beads or nightlights. dull green. so it's more natural than u would think?

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:24 pm

Used them when fishing off Rottnest Island, Western Australia for Tailor and small sharks.

I wasn't using them and person i was with was catching fish, wasn't long till i put one on :lol:

Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:51 pm

Buy a manual flash for a camera (about €20 - €25) it should have a button that you press to relase a flash from it. Use 8mm glowbeads and hit them with a flash from it a few times before you cast out. It works but I've often dropped fish which I think took the beads rather than the bait.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:15 am

anglers use these to charge their glo-pirks aswell. it's meant to work alright. i've heard of anglers catchin fish on them on wiclow beaches too- without bait?! i'll have to try it for myself though. i have caught whiting on a bead and empty hook- not standard practice though!

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:12 pm

Ive seen glow sticks (starlights) used for doggies and flats from Glenarm Beach, I'm not sure if they help but they dont seem to do any harm.