Berkley Gulp! Saltwater 2" Peeler Crab

Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:01 pm

I was given a packet of these to try out by my local tackle shop

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products ... assLevel=2

Tried them out on a recent trip to Ennereilly beach, Wicklow
I had one bite but missed it, they were fished on a pulley rig alongside a rod baited with sandeel/ squid wraps , which was getting dogfish every 5 minutes. Put a fresh bait on every 15 minutes, but nothing was landed .

b0ogaloo

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:11 pm

I have looked at these with a view to spinning them for bass or freelining them for wrasse.A waste of time or worth a try?

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:21 pm

Probably a waste of time... but give them a go if you want. I think they retail at £2.99 for a pack of 5

b0ogaloo

Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:27 pm

Anyone else used these Berkley Gulp! peelers or any of their other artificial baits?

A lot of people seem to be getting excited about them without having actually used them or heard any reports.

I'm tempted to try out the peelers or sandeels but I don't really want to waste money on useless plastic baits.

Peelers are really hard to get a hold of where I'm from!

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:06 pm

I was given a packet of the rag to test as well..... no bites at all... the baited rod next to it ,was pulling in codling 2 at a time

I'd give them a miss tbh

b0ogaloo

Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:46 pm

I have a few different packets of the Gulp! crab and worm types - keen to try them. Dissapointing results so far but I've often noticed that some days some stuff is great, other days you couldn't give it away. Also, stuff that's consistently rubbish at one location can be fine at another. I'll wait on a few more reports and try my own before I make up my mind. Most of the powerbait range works fine for me, assumed the Gulp! would be similar.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:34 pm

I used some of the Berkely Gulp worms tipped with a mackerel strip, not sure what type though, on the Boat Comp in Kilmore Quay last week. Accounted for two of the four Cod and the only Pollack I pulled in. Next time I use them though Im going to wear gloves as Im still trying to get the vile smell off my hands!!! Those things reek to high heaven, its enough to make you gag if you get a decent whiff of them, didnt put the fish off all the same.

Not so sure about those crab and prawn imitations though, Has anyone had any success with these? I tried the prawns to no effect, refused point blank to buy the crabs as they look incredibly tacky.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:09 pm

petekd wrote: I tried the prawns to no effect, refused point blank to buy the crabs as they look incredibly tacky.

Exactly what I'm worried about...

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:37 am

Once, While waiting for the man with the bait to arrive down the pier I sliced up a Berkley powerrag and fished it down the side, Results were instant, Picking up 5 Pollack in about 10 minutes.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:59 am

Tried the white lug myself. An instant hit with the pollock as well. They were only playing with other lures up to that. They absolutely nailed these.

The crabs do look a joke, but maybe they look/smell/taste fine to a fish.

I'll edit this post after I try them.

rag

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:26 pm

i have never tried em myself but saw one girl using the rag one in wicklow just as u would use normal rag down the pier wall and managed to catch a pollock with it.will defo give em a try.
colm

Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:27 pm

Tried the peeler for thornbacks and doggies with no results. Very different from the shads. Have used them twice now and have had great results from pollack (the blue coloured shads). Not sure if its the smell or just the movement but I would recommend them.