fixed v multiplier

Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:36 pm

I have heard loads of pros and cons for both.

Come on talk and tips please

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:35 am

Horses for courses, really, one man's meat another man's poison etc.

Could be a good topic this, must go get the popcorn and get comfy......... :D

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:02 am

I'm not getting sucked into this again!

I'll be ranting within seconds....bite your tongue O'Hanlon...

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:54 am

multipliers!!!!!!.....sorry just prefer them. more compact, feel good(once you get the hang of them) can cast further, plus they make you look really professional!!!! well i'm just saying what ye're all afraid to admit. lets face it, you look well cool down on the beach or pier, with one of those reels that all the big boys in the magazines and the tv fish with, with your rod rings pointing in the wrong direction, and that class noise a multiplier makes as a 6oz lead, and a whole pile of bait disappear out to sea!
seriously though, once you have gotten your head around the basics of a multiplier, and ignored all the hype, they are ideal for shore and boat angling.as i said, they feel really good in your hand, no big handle to be cranking around and around,everything is just a flick of the thumb, they can handle really dirty conditions, the drag is more accessible(in my very humble opinion) they cast really smoothly. once you do get the hang of them they are the best thing since sliced bread. however, fixed spools do have their day. on really horrible windy days, with a gale in your face, and the rain lashing down, nothing beats a fixed spool reel for sheer simplicity. no worry of birds nests, windknots, or getting the perfect line lay.
at the end of the day though, alot of it comes down to personal preference, if a fixed spool is working fine for you,your catching fish, then a multplier isn't suddenly going to up your catch rate, it might add few yardst o the cast, and feel and look nice,but it's not going to impress the fish. so it's your call really, i'd highly recommend a multiplier(a good quality one) but as i said that's a personal preference, some of my mates fish exclusively with fixed spool reels, and hate multipliers. so i suppose i didn't really answer your question, just rambled on about shite. sorry!

reels

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:13 am

just got my first multiplier- abu 6500 c3-ct - I must admit
that I'm very impressed with it so far and it really has
added many yards to my paltry cast. When you get
the hang of it the cast just feels great . I've used it on
my last two outings and only got one birdsnest (it was getting dark),
I really have to learn to tune it???? :shock:

I've come to the conclusion that i'll always use both fixed spool & multiplier reels :!:

Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:48 pm

ive just switched over to a multiplier myself. just a cheap one, Shakespere Targa rod and reel for £50!!!!.

id have to say i quite like it. last time i used a multiplier (over5 years ago) it was a disaster but i think its great now. casting has definately got better but that may be the rod. its lot lighter which i like as it doesnt knacker you winding in from longer casts. also easier to handle than big fixed spool reel.

but i think id always use a fixed spool reel for normal spinning and float work etc.

try one and see.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:58 pm

hi all,

definatley believe both have their individual benifits and particular uses, multipliers are a must for distance work and over rough ground but i wouldnt be without the fixed spool for close range flounder fishing, float fishing and plugging for bass.

i do believe though that which ever you go for quality makes and models are a must for optimum performance and pleasure of use.

i also absolutely agree with frodo baggins that there is no greater ego booster for an angler to stand on a crowded beach or pier and pendulum cast a rig to extreme distance using a well tuned multiplier, but there is always the odd right royal extra loud crack off every now and then just to knock you off your pedestal!

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:55 am

With the right technique you can cast very far with a fixed spool as I put one on one of my multiplyer rod down low and got a great cast with it using a pendelum cast it can be done with a fixed spool just have to get the right timing etc.