freash water rods for sea spinning

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:23 am

I read some people have started to us carp and other freash water rods for spinning at sea for pollock and bass any idea on this and what they would be using

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:45 am

I need some advice on this as well. I have an ABU Enticer Carp/Pike rod that I use for bass in East Cork. I was thinking of using this off the rocks for pollock and possibly even floating for wrasse. But, and this is a big but, I don't think the rod would handle anything bigger than a 50g weight and the rock mark I am fishing has big pollock and wrasse. By big I mean using my beach caster and a Shakespeare Kn000 fixed spool reel I had the rod tip at 90 degrees to the butt and the gears slipping on the reel!

Could the Enticer take the initial dive of pollack and wrasse?
If not what should I use for rock marks, apart from a beach caster which is very tiring?

Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:02 pm

I have used the enticer myself for both pollock and wrasse. Once the rod is rated 2.5lb or 3lb you'll have no problems. I have used a really old carp rod for wrasse and although it was bent to the butt I never had any worries of it breaking. To be honest it was great craic. 50g rating is just the casting weight. I've used pike rods to cast 8oz plus dead baits with about 2 - 3oz of lead with out breaking them. Just don't try lifting the Pollock or Wrasse up rocks with the rod. Net them or grab the line.

And remember to clean the rod after each session with some luke warm soapy water. You would be surprised how quickly a fresh water rod will be destroyed after contact with salt air or water.

Kev

Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:02 pm

any half decent spinning rod arount 9 to 11 feet long rated for weights from 10 to 60grammes will fit the bill admirably for spinning plugging, float fishing and light ledgering from rock marks. personally i don't like using carp or deadbait pike rods. they tend to be a bit heavier, they have a long handle which gets in the way when casting all day, and they are a wee bit too powerful to enjoy the scrap from a 1 or 2 lb pound pollack, a well balanced spinning outfit with 10 to 15lb line will let you enjoy the dives of smaller fish...........if you want to really go mad then by fly gear, best craic you'll ever have

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:55 pm

uglystik 9ft spin does the job for spinning - casts 1 - 1.5 oz lead heads and copes well with 10lb pollock.

ultimate perfection spin is pretty much the same, as is the shimano beastmaster.