tackle for distance with light spinning lures

Fri May 27, 2005 2:15 pm

Hi all ,
Can anyone recommend a spinning rod which would be good for distance with light lures such as small Toby , Mepps , jellies , floating plugs ?
I'm thinking fixed spool with 10 or 12 lb mono spinning off the beach or rocks for trout / pollock / bass when the closed season ends .
Maybe any tips too eg is braid any good on fixed spool and what would be the drawbacks ? Abrasion if fishing over rocks ?
Would a small ( 1/2 oz ) drilled bullet a couple of ft above the lure make much difference to catch rate ? Or maybe a half-filled bubble float ?
I know there's already loads of advice scattered about this site but am not getting very far with searches .
Many thanks
nick

Fri May 27, 2005 2:37 pm

hi nick, I use a small uglystik spincast to spin 1oz leadheads from a boat. I have bought the bigger version of the triggergrip spin (8ft) which gets christened off Tory Island tomorrow. It seems OK, but I'll know better at 5PM tomorrow.
Until now I've used a Shimano 4000 slade front drag loaded with 10 - 15lb mono. It was a fairly successful pairing, but I recently bought a wee Abu Ambassadeur baitcaster, which is now loaded with 20lb PowerPro braid. Hope to christen it tomorrow too.

I use them for plugging for pike, and they are spot on, so I'd recommend them, but you are probably after a longer rod for spinning from shore.

Mon May 30, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi Nick,

Can anyone recommend a spinning rod which would be good for distance with light lures such as small Toby , Mepps , jellies , floating plugs ?
I'm thinking fixed spool with 10 or 12 lb mono spinning off the beach or rocks for trout / pollock / bass when the closed season ends .

Look for ultra lite/light or micro light/lite such as:

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/prod ... lite.shtml

Designed for the US as predator fishing in the US is a whole different ball game i.e a lot of pike/muskie free water. They are hard to get here though and shipping for rods can be real killer. I came across an ultra lite spinning rod in a shop that isn't a million miles away from you, I think it was a Leeda and was about €60 (Might have been old stock as some of the rods there are still priced in IR£). PM me if you're interested and I'll let you know where.

Would a small ( 1/2 oz ) drilled bullet a couple of ft above the lure make much difference to catch rate ? Or maybe a half-filled bubble float ?

I came across some interesting info regarding this on Mike Thrussells site, have a look at the section of this article called Rigging:
http://www.worldseafishing.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=72