Penn Surfblaster Outasight 13ft. Teamed with Supermag.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:08 am

My mate got one, have had a few throws with it, and can only describe it as 'Sublime', its throwing power makes the K2 look like a Mustang! I mean, Reel down the Butt and on the Lowest mag setting we were estimating hitting 100yds+.
Wound one up in my usual casting style and damn near emptied the spool!
The new Grip-lok system is amazing, meaning you can cast down the Butt, then its easily movable to fish up the Butt.
The Supermag is as smooth as a Malibu and Milk... and watching the B*tch empty after a good swing would make even the most experianced Angler smile!
A Truely great Combo, Give me 3 Weeks.... I'll have one.

Casting 10/10
Weight - Bloody light
Rings - Those Groovy neon Fugi non shattering ones!

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:53 pm

From what I understand this is the villian extreme rod I have. Penn like to rebrand their rods every few year. Very nice rod and recommended highly for people like me trying to learn how to power cast. I'm not to sure about this super mag thing. The changes seem to be all eye wash unless they've really improved the bearings.

Donagh

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:34 pm

Did they load them up with Red Rocket Fuel before?

The Surfblaster is really super light never felt a rod like it before, maybe a slightly redesigned villan??

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:49 pm

No the spool bearings weren't oiled up with red label before but its no great advantage as they'll have to be reoiled sooner or later and you may as well learn how to do this sooner. Some people might like the extra mags but with the 525mag I have with full mags on I don't even have to tumb the reel when it hits the water.

I haven't seen the surfbalster rod before but it probably was refined. The old rod was marketed more as a ground caster rod.

Donagh

Penn supermag 525

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:52 pm

I got the new supermag with my Jet Stream and its again a solid reel much like the old 525, except easier to use straight out of the box. Having said that the only differences are new bronze handle to look better?. New cearmic bearings in red rocket fuel (slower more viscous oil than the old reel) and two extra mags that piggy back on the two centre mags. This slows down the reel from the orginal and makes it easier to use but with the old one once you got used to it and changed the oil to red rocked fuel it was ok to handle. On saying this I could never cast the old one below 4 mag setting and I can on the new, but I still believe that casting technique is the answer not playing around with the reel. Anyway a good buy, a reel work horse than can take a lot of abuse, with the only difference from the orginal been that its that bit more managable and therefore will be more suitable to the average Joe (like myself).

Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:52 pm

Gave it a serious wack with the wind behind me, damn near emptied the Spool of 18lb line... I was nearly for running off down the pier with it...

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:07 pm

Just to clarify penn525 mag spool bearings should always be oiled with red label or heavier. The oil the old 525mag was factor tuned with was way to light. The ceramic bearings I see as the major advantage due to them not rusting but care has to be takend cleaning them with petrol as they shouldn't be in contact with it for to long otherwise they'll be damaged.

Donaghj

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:14 pm

As the man says, Give it 3 Weeks... I'll have one.