Switch to full style
OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing
Topic locked

Monster mackeral

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Tried bait fishing at the cardy rocks Balbriggan ,not much about on the bait until this guy came alongImageImageImageImageImage
16"
1lb 2oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Monster mackeral

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:32 pm

I thought he looked a bit on the lean side so I checked a length to weight conversion table and got 40cm = 1lb 2oz, your measurements exactly!

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:01 pm

johnwest wrote:I thought he looked a bit on the lean side so I checked a length to weight conversion table and got 40cm = 1lb 2oz, your measurements exactly!

Tasted great though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:34 pm

just a big mack lol not a hourse mack

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:23 pm

I know it's just a mack ,but to catch anything decent off Balbriggan is an achievement ,the fishing is really bad

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:11 am

Nice mackerel! I was the guy fishing from the kayak, we had plenty of mackerel but some were as small as 5 or 6 inches. The average size is tiny this year, even down in west cork a few weeks ago the average size was only slightly bigger than joeys, about 10 inches. Must be a lack of food, I saw lots of sprat yesterday and these were tiny too, only just over an inch long! It's a strange year for them!

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:44 pm

The macks were small earlier but the last few weeks I'm getting some decent ones around the cardys with a few pollock around the lb mark ,the carabaits rocks are also ok for pollack they are straight out from the Martello ,you can see the top of them at low water
Topic locked