Aran Islands?

Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:32 am

Does anyone have any idea what the fishing is like on the Aran Islands?

A fella in work is talking about going there for a weekend at the end of August for his birthday, and I'm thinking about taking the rods.

Cheers.

Aran Islands.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:35 pm

Check out the North Clare marks on this site someone told me the fishing is similar to the Ballyreen and Black head marks in North Clare.
The water might be deeper, fish baits such as sandeel's and mackerel would do and I dont think you would have much trouble catching a few from the Aran Islands.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:32 pm

there are plenty of mackeral around the harbour- talk to the lads that run the bike hire sheds and they'll fill u in(provided they still work there!) as they fish themselves. they are mainlanders too so they won't be afraid to give advice! fish the deeper rock marks. use large feathers, black worth a try, for good pollack and the odd cod would u believe. can be snaggy though so use 3 hook sets or even a single feather or red gill. when bites dry up switch to mackeral to coax a few more fish. don't take chances fishing the rock marks around this place. the sea can rise up over ten feet in seconds on a flat calm day, and you won't even see it coming, no joke.......best of luck with it and don't bring too much gear because half the time you'll end up biking it to the fishin spots....

Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:08 pm

m.b3 wrote:best of luck with it and don't bring too much gear because half the time you'll end up biking it to the fishin spots....

No, I'd say half the time I'll be lying somewhere locked! :D Thanks for the advice!

Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:29 pm

Thats right Mark, the bikeshed lads know a hell of a lot about the harbour, pity i'd no rod with me.
When I was there, bout 3-4 years ago, there was a small landing strip on Inis Mor, head that direction and there are lovely coves to be found just before it.
Can't remember much, wasnt a fishing trip.