Red Rock, Sutton

Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:13 am

Tried here again yesterday, with no success. I had no bait so tried spinning a toby for a few hours.

The tide was well on it's way in which wasn't ideal, as this seems to fish best for the last hour of the ebb and first two of the flood. The tides look ideal all next week, so will try a few more evening sessions then.

Re

Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:31 am

It is with out doubt a good spot.Anytime I have spinned there I have found that a German Sprat is your best bet. Mainly Pollack and Red Gurnard have been my main catches.

Andy

red rock/beach in howth/baldoyle estuary

Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:53 pm

Hi lads,
i've been trying here with not much luck, but i want to make sure i'm in a decent spot. I've been parking the car at the gate to the path and taking the steps down to the rocky/shingly beach and fishing all the way up to the round house which juts out on the rocks. i also took a look past that house for a few hundred yards but its almost impossible to get down to water level. is this the stretch you have been talking about. i got fairly frustrated with it on Tuesday and decided to pack it in & go to howth. fished the small beach on the way up the hill in howth, throwing a small sand eel fly tight to the rocks. picked up a decent pollock and what looked like a small codling??? in about 40 mins of fishing. any way let me know if the area i'm fishing in sutton is correct. one other thing, a few years ago i fished baldoyle estuary regularly and took some nice sea trout but gave it a miss last years with the works going on. have tried several times from the back of the golf club with no luck. anyone know if this area has receoverd?

Red Rock, Sutton

Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:28 pm

Keo,

I can understand your frustation.However there is a way to get down close enough to the water level however you must proceed with caution. It is very dangerous in wet weather, so I wouldn't attempt climbing down. I have always fished this spot with a friend, just in case anything was to happen.

Anyway it is a very good spot producing good sized pollock. Years ago it was an excellent spot for spinning for Bass however I haven't heard of any recent catches here.
Last edited by adrwdarcy on Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:54 pm

so the spot the lads are talking about is the 100/200 yards on the howth side of that round house with the private property sign on the entrance. is that right?

re

Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:55 pm

thats rght

Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:19 pm

i think i'll try that tonight, i'll let you know how i get on. i'll be spinning/plugging

Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:38 am

I took a scout down past the tower last night, just to see for myself what the spot is like. A few hundred yards up from the tower is a nice little cove (with a dangerous but doable descent). Stopped here for a while and watched a number of fish jump out of the water, can someone tell me what they were? ( I'm a novice trying to ditch mackrel bashing as my only skill) so excuse the question.

on the way back I spotted who I assumed to be Keo...? Looked on for a while in the hope of seeing a tight line but my soaked jeans got the better of me and I headed home.

I might head down myself tonight , this time with my gear and give it a go.

Take care.
Jon

re

Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:51 am

HI Jon ,

It sounds like you were at Doldrum Bay. Tons of weed and rocks here and dangerous to get down to. Spinning and float fishing is the order of the day at this spot.

Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:44 pm

Tried the spot with Mark m.b3, down by the steps as Keo mentioned above. Ledgered crab, rag and sand-eel, spinning with thunderdog and jointed thunderstick lures. Nothing biting, drowned the poor worms!

Tide was out, coming in - 6am to 10am. No sun to speak of.

:(

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:08 pm

nice spot though, certainly looks bassy. pulley rigs made fishing on this ground easy. pity no fish showed but a new spot for me so the blankety blank didn't hurt too much. anyway, will return........it's only a matter of time........

Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:57 pm

keo u say u got seatrout at baldoyle can u tell me where some land mark maybe and how did u take them

Baldoyle

Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:13 am

I assume this is the spot behind Sutton golf club then. Pat in Henry's tackle mentioned a few weeks ago that there were fish being caught there over low water in the evening (perfect tides this weekend then). The tide is vicious here, so it's definitely best fished at dead low water.

As you are driving out to Howth along the Howth road, turn left at Sutton Cross. There should be right hand turn soon after (into what looks like an estate - it's before the train station). Follow this road, over the rail crossing and turn right. You can park about 200 yards down this road, and access the beach from here. The spot is the point right behind the golf clubhouse.

Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:35 pm

This area is called cush point and has to be fished from extreme low as soon after this the fish will have moved well up the estuary.

Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:10 pm

what spinners would be good for seatrout plan to fish cush point and malahide

cush point

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:22 pm

use a 12-18grm toby or koster if spinning if plugging use a blue/black/silver floating yo zuri its a killer if theres any bass around.